Filter Sock vs SPS color

dantdodge

I am currently on my third SPS aquarium and it has been doing really good as far as growth and health, however I feel that this third setup I am not experiencing the colors that I have in the past.
All setups have been Identical in parameters and the only thing I am doing differently on this setup is I run a filter sock. Do you believe this is pulling vital nutrients from the water column that other wise would feed the coral in its absences. Thoughts?

I doubt it is the filter sock causing the issue, unless it has to do with the way you are cleaning and reusing the filter sock.

A filter sock only removes 100-400 micron size particles your sps need some nitrate and phosphate to thrive those compounds pass rite thru the sock . But if you don't change the sock every three days the trapped organics will start breaking down into nitrates ect. Which does not sound like your case at all. if you are changing the socks out every three days try stretching it out to 7 day intervals to bring your N and P up.

A filter sock only removes 100-400 micron size particles your sps need some nitrate and phosphate to thrive those compounds pass rite thru the sock . But if you don't change the sock every three days the trapped organics will start breaking down into nitrates ect. Which does not sound like your case at all. if you are changing the socks out every three days try stretching it out to 7 day intervals to bring your N and P up.

hmm I am changing every week pretty religiously. Maybe I am just being picky and need to look at the alk relation to the n03 and p04 params.
Thanks for your guys input.

It may be related, but it may not be. Pale colors are a lack of nutrition most of the time. See what your nitrate and phosphates are. You may need to feed more.

FYI, if you put a 100 micron sock in, it will only filter down to 100 microns until it collects debris, as it collects debris it will filter smaller and smaller particle sizes until it clogs. All mechanical filters work like this.

Back