Filter socks

silverfly

Hi, i've been told i need to have these in my sump to get the detritis out. Is this true? What other methods do you guys use? Thanks.

Not necessarily true....keep the particulates suspended in the water column with good water movement...if you choose to use the filter socks they need to be changed frequently.

Are you having a problem with detritus? What is the sock intended to solve?

A sock isn't necessary, but can be useful. It's important to keep them clean, because, well, they catch a lot of detritus. :)

You can always try floss or something similar, but they all work essentially the same way and require regular cleaning.

Some hobbyists like to have a slow-flow refugium. These can be fairly effective at collecting detritus, but it will be converted into nitrate. A clean sock makes no nitrate. :)

Socks are also great at controlling micro-bubbles, and if cinched closed, will help reduce both noise and evaporation as well.

This will be my first ever sump on my new 175g tank. I was told that i would not be able to get the detritus out otherwise. Thanks guys for the responses!

It's a matter of philosophy. Some prefer to let their cleanup crew and bacteria break down the detritus then remove the nitrates with water-changes, while others prefer to remove as much detritus as possible before it become nitrate.

If you aren't aware of an obvious problem, then you don't need a sock. You do need a skimmer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14836022#post14836022 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whys
It's a matter of philosophy. Some prefer to let their cleanup crew and bacteria break down the detritus then remove the nitrates with water-changes, while others prefer to remove as much detritus as possible before it become nitrate.

If you aren't aware of an obvious problem, then you don't need a sock. You do need a skimmer.

Good advice.
You do need a skimmer.

Any old 'pillow fill' cotton from Wal-Mart will also help filter, you wanted to stuff your sock, and change out the fill.

Thanks . Yes i will be skimming too. How do you attatch the filter socks. A tower or to the inlet pipes? Thanks.

My sock is attached to the end of the drain to the sump. It is about half submerged and cinched closed.

^^^ You can and some have, but I doubt it's as effective. Pantyhose are more typically used to hold media like carbon, or flabby thighs. :]

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14836705#post14836705 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whys
^^^ You can and some have, but I doubt it's as effective. Pantyhose are more typically used to hold media like carbon, or flabby thighs. :]

:lol: Thanks for the laugh!

Back