Filtration Question on New Saltwater

Fenton2

In Memoriam
Hi,

Could anyone tell me what the best low cost option would be for filtration on a new 29g saltwater setup? It's likely going to be a FOWLR tank.

Alternatively, I am considering making it a high salinity brackish tank (SG ~ 1.020). Would that change the filtration choice?

Thanks much.

You can also use an Eheim canister filter although my best choice will be a hang on the back skimmer but note that skimmers work better at higher than 1.02 salinity.

a big ball of chaeto a sand bed and a good air bubbler/ powerhead. Nothing beats nature for nutrient export :D

I can keep xenia alive with that setup(air bubbler) in a 5 gallon tank, actually they grow. :lol:

Thanks for the advice guys. I really am not sure what I'm going to do with this tank. This project originally began by researching whether or not I could keep certain marine fish in some sort of planted tank. I was looking in to the possibility of putting chromides or damsels in a highly brackish tank (hence the 1.020 sg) and still find plants besides mangroves that would do okay in there. I'm not sure that's really going to work though--most of what I've been reading says 1.020 will not be tolerated by most of the more common plants.

I still want to keep either chromides or damsels, but now I might be better off just doing a straight saltwater setup.

There are planty of Salwater algaes (not really plants) you can use without them being abnoxious. BTW Chaeto being a floating drifting algae will not be recommended for a show tank but you can get Gracilarias, Some red Caulerpas, Halimeda, Halimenia, Bottlebrush, seagrass and many others that will trive in full strenght sea water.

Back