Filtration Recommendations?

rich_one

Hello... this is my current tank setup:

75g tank
Overflow box, u tube and w/d that sits in a 10g sump
Aqua sea remora hang on back protein skimmer
2 small powerheads
Live sand and approx 75-85 lbs of liverock

I've been told in another thread that this w/d-sump setup is "minimal". I'm considering changing it. I do not have unlimited funds, but I'd like to solicit opinions on solid filtration/water movement for this tank.

What would some of you do? Thanks!

-Rich

b0bab0ey

Moved On
What kind of corals are you planning on keeping? Unless this is going to be an SPS dominated tank w/MH lighting, then why do you need a sump at all? Just increase your flow (I'm using two Koralia 1050s in a 58g) and you're good to go. IMO there's no better filtration than the one designed by nature, live rock! By increasing your flow and letting more water pass thru your LR, you'll "feed" your bacteria and they, in turn, will cleanse the water for you. You might find you'll need a dual media reactor down the road for running GHO and GAC.

rich_one

Hi. Thanks for the reply! I do not plan on getting heavy into corals. IF I do any, it will be something very simple, like either mushrooms, or another easy soft-type (I've been warned that mushrooms can take over a tank). But I have zero plans for any hard corals and/or corals with high light demands.

So you say, toss the wet/dry setup, toss in a couple of powerheads, done? Install the protein skimmer directly to the tank? I do have plans to get a HOB refugium at some point. I am hoping to develop a nice healthy population of pods, so that maybe a year or so from now, I can get me a dragonet, and keep it successfully. Sort of a 1 year anniversary goal for me.

b0bab0ey

Moved On
Hi. Thanks for the reply! I do not plan on getting heavy into corals. IF I do any, it will be something very simple, like either mushrooms, or another easy soft-type (I've been warned that mushrooms can take over a tank). But I have zero plans for any hard corals and/or corals with high light demands.

So you say, toss the wet/dry setup, toss in a couple of powerheads, done? Install the protein skimmer directly to the tank? I do have plans to get a HOB refugium at some point. I am hoping to develop a nice healthy population of pods, so that maybe a year or so from now, I can get me a dragonet, and keep it successfully. Sort of a 1 year anniversary goal for me.

I don't have a sump and have a HOB protein skimmer like you. I use a media reactor for GFO and a HOB power filter for my GAC. I also only have old, antiquated VHO lighting. The only downsides I think to not using is a sump is having to do more frequent WCs and not having quite as large of a bioload. Anyway, here's a pic of my tank (I have more fish waiting to be added that are still going thru the QT process):

picture.php

izzy123

I pretty much agree with the advice you already got, the only reason I got a biggisch sump is for extra water volume (and of course having a place to put my equipment)

I figure that the more total volume you got, the better.
Other than that if you can get rid of all your hardware in a 10G sump, then why not.

Oh, and if you have room to spare in that 10G sump of yours, build the fuge in there.

Hope this helps

Ivan

rich_one

Now, I do have an empty 20 gallon I can use for the sump, and place the wet/dry and the protein skimmer in that, AND get extra water volume. However, I'm not married to the idea of needing a sump. Sounds like I should basically just use powerheads and the skimmer, based on you guys recommendation.

Few more questions:

I am not real familiar with "media reactors"? I am googling it, but if you guys can add some more insight on that, I'd appreciate it. GFO... granular ferric oxide??? I take it this is some kind of process to bind phosphate, based on what I am finding in google? Can you recommend a media reactor? As you can see, I'm rather green on SW jargon. GAC? Are you saying, you use a HOB filter for activated carbon only? Is that the only media you run in it? Meaning, I can run a AC110 with only carbon packs loaded in it?

I really do appreciate the advice.

-Rich

b0bab0ey

Moved On
Now, I do have an empty 20 gallon I can use for the sump, and place the wet/dry and the protein skimmer in that, AND get extra water volume. However, I'm not married to the idea of needing a sump. Sounds like I should basically just use powerheads and the skimmer, based on you guys recommendation.

Don't get me wrong, sumps are "good" just not necessary IMO. The upsides are obvious: a place to hide your heaters, misc. equipment, etc. and more water volume does = more stable environment, more bioload capacity.

I am not real familiar with "media reactors"? I am googling it, but if you guys can add some more insight on that, I'd appreciate it. GFO... granular ferric oxide??? I take it this is some kind of process to bind phosphate, based on what I am finding in google? Can you recommend a media reactor? As you can see, I'm rather green on SW jargon.

A media reactor is basically just a mini canister filter. It's the weapon of choice these days for running GFO and GAC (carbon) because it forces all the water thru the media, making it a lot more efficient than an old school HOB power filter. Most people find they eventually need to use GFO to keep their phosphates under control. However, you said you were planning on setting up a fuge and some people opt to use that to keep phosphates in check. Btw, I don't recommend running a fuge w/chaeto concurrently with GFO. The GFO will zap all the phosphates out of the water that the chaeto needs to grow (food). Running GAC (carbon) is becoming a bit more controversial these days. I do it, because I like how it keeps my water crystal clear and how it takes nasties out of the water. However, there is some evidence that it can cause HLLE in certain fish. Google "HLLE carbon" to get the lowdown. Below is a link to various media reactors sold by BRS. The "BRS" brand is what I recommend. They also sell GFO/GAC, all sorts of stuff really...

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reactors/gfo-and-carbon-reactors

GAC? Are you saying, you use a HOB filter for activated carbon only? Is that the only media you run in it? Meaning, I can run a AC110 with only carbon packs loaded in it?

Yeah, I run chemi-pure in an AC70, and my GFO in a single BRS media reactor. But only because when I bought mine they didn't have the dual media reactors. The next time I need to place an order with BRS, I'm getting me one of those puppies. I'll have to convince the wife that the AC70 is broke or something. :)

Btw, if you like DIY projects, check out this link about converting your AC110 into a HOB fuge:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601201

rich_one

Holy cow! Now THAT is one info-packed post! Thanks! Much appreciated... I'll review these options and get things started!

-Rich

rich_one

After thinking this through, I've decided to keep the wet/dry sump, for the additional water volume, and the extra stability will probably be my friend, as a noob. You do have me thinking about using a reactor for GAC though. And I love the DIY refugium thread. Looks surprisingly easy to follow, even for a guy who is as far away from being a DIY type as is possible... me.

Well... anyway... thanks for the tips, as I tread carefully through this new adventure... much appreicated!

-Rich

zigzag1

IMO, I would keep the sump, just remove the bio-balls. I would remove them slowly over the course of a few weeks. JMTC & GL!

rich_one

Actually, not setup yet. So I can remove them immediately! LOL... no bioballs, but some fuzzy, scrunchy things.

But if I remove them, doesn't that defeat the purpose of wet/dry filter? Are you suggesting I just run a sump with nothing in it, but the protein skimmer?

-Rich