First Ever marine aquascape

5to9design

I just recently finished the rock scape for my first ever saltwater tank (a Nuvo fusion 20 my wife is getting me for Christmas) I would like to get some opinions on over all design, potential for flow and coral placement and whatever other insights experienced reefers could give me. I have a bta in mind for the right side on the large base rock, zoa garden upfront on the island, and a colony of pulsing xenia somewhere in there. ( open to suggestions) Any useful information will be appreciated!
f57efbef6fbdf1a8a90af3025cd7c6c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks good. How tall is the tank? One thing I see a lot of with aquascaping is the rock is too tall. Remember, you're not designing for now, you're designing to support stuff that will grow. Most rockscapes would be better at half the height they are, to leave room for corals, etc. to grow. Often the rightsized scape will look underwhelming at first, but once things start growing it makes more sense.

Your choice of zoas and xenia will mean a never-ending battle to keep them pruned down, so they don't take over.

It looks good id suggest starting the cycle in a bin now

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That's the plan, i have to go pick up a bin large enough. The rock is pretty dusty so I was thinking maybe setting it in a bin with ro/di and a pump for a few days to let all the dust blow off before I start cycling it.

That looks good. How tall is the tank? One thing I see a lot of with aquascaping is the rock is too tall. Remember, you're not designing for now, you're designing to support stuff that will grow. Most rockscapes would be better at half the height they are, to leave room for corals, etc. to grow. Often the rightsized scape will look underwhelming at first, but once things start growing it makes more sense.

Your choice of zoas and xenia will mean a never-ending battle to keep them pruned down, so they don't take over.

The tank is 13 inches tall and the tallest part of the scape on the back/right side is 9.5 inches while most is about 6-7. I knew I was cutting it close with the height but with such a short tank I wanted to balance plenty of rock work and negative space for fish/inverts. Are there any corals that you suggest that wouldn't spread so aggressively?

I'd take a look at the large-polyp stony corals. But I'm far from a coral expert. Maybe someone else could weigh in? You may want to post this question in the nano tank section, to get some nano-centric answers. Good luck and welcome to RC!

under ideal conditions, xenia will quickly take over a tank. If you must have them, put them on their own rock.

I have a small rock island upfront I was gonna use for zoa but maybe I will put Xenia there. I know zoa can multiple pretty readily but are they easier to manage?

I'd take a look at the large-polyp stony corals. But I'm far from a coral expert. Maybe someone else could weigh in? You may want to post this question in the nano tank section, to get some nano-centric answers. Good luck and welcome to RC!

I didn't a little reading through the forums, evidence shows like you and [MENTION=229193]outssider[/MENTION] said pulsing Xenia is nearly uncontrollable. It's a shame as I find it incredibly interesting but I'm not going to take that gamble.

Back