First non-nano build (opinions)

callmesaul8889

Hey guys, I'm getting started on my first large tank build after having 3 nano all-in-one tanks.

Right now I'm trying to decide on a tank. I'm considering Deep Blue 80g Rimless, Deep Blue 60g Rimless, or the Deep Blue Edge 57.

I plan on getting a 4 or 6 bulb dimmable ATI T5 fixture and supplementing with a few Kessils.

Bulb expenses have me worried at the moment, with a 6 bulb 48" fixture it might get a little rough on the wallet more often than I would like. I was considering the Edge 57 since it's only 36" long, but I really do like the look of the long shallow tanks.

I primarily want to house SPS (I've yet to have any real success with SPS) so most of this build will be new to me. Would 4 48" T5s be enough for the 60g since it's only 12" tall?

This post is more aimed at starting a discussion to get me thinking about the system as a whole before I start buying parts, so any questions, comments, concerns would be greatly appreciated.

I think you'll be happy with the deep blue tank, I've had 4 or 5 of them and they've all been really nice. I think id go with the 57g, I just think cubes are awesome. If I was building a 36" long tank I think id go with a 24" long fixture, I'm confident that a 4x24w or 6x24w would be plenty of light for that tank.

I think you'll be happy with the deep blue tank, I've had 4 or 5 of them and they've all been really nice. I think id go with the 57g, I just think cubes are awesome. If I was building a 36" long tank I think id go with a 24" long fixture, I'm confident that a 4x24w or 6x24w would be plenty of light for that tank.

I've had 3 cubes and I really would like to get back to a traditional, wide, shallow tank. I don't really have the room for a cube, and since this will be my first tank with a sump, I'd really like to have as much room as possible under the stand.

I was actually reconsidering the 80g Deep Blue because it doesn't have low iron glass. I considered the 75g edge but I'm not sure I like the taller dimensions. Maybe a custom built tank that's like the 80g rimless except with better glass?

The size I'm looking for would be 48". Would that imply a 36" light over a 48" tank? I plan on running two Kessils at the front corners of the T5s almost exactly like this:
IMG_1876_zps9f6a1341.jpg

I would really like this to be my end-game build, so I don't want to skimp on anything.

When I had my 75g I was planning using a 6x39w fixture. You could always build a led/t5 hybrid light. Unless you want to be able to keep acros in every possible inch of this tank a 36" long fixture should be plenty of light.

When I had my 75g I was planning using a 6x39w fixture. You could always build a led/t5 hybrid light. Unless you want to be able to keep acros in every possible inch of this tank a 36" long fixture should be plenty of light.

I will consider going a little shorter on the light. The price differences for a new ATI dimmable fixture in 36" and 48" aren't that different, so it's more about what will work the best. To be honest, if I could have acros in every area of the tank, that would be ideal. :dance:

Did you ever notice a difference in glass quality from your Deep Blue tanks and other starphire tanks? I've had starphire glass on my last two tanks so I don't know if I'm willing to downgrade without seeing it first.

I honestly haven't seen too many LIG tanks in person, I just know the deep blue I had was crazy clear for being a non LIG tank.

I have had a 80 rimless twice now and absolutely love it! I have the edge series which is there version of a starphire glass. I currently have 2 radion gen 3's over it but going to be adding 4 48" t5 to it shorty.

I will consider going a little shorter on the light. The price differences for a new ATI dimmable fixture in 36" and 48" aren't that different, so it's more about what will work the best. To be honest, if I could have acros in every area of the tank, that would be ideal. :dance:

Did you ever notice a difference in glass quality from your Deep Blue tanks and other starphire tanks? I've had starphire glass on my last two tanks so I don't know if I'm willing to downgrade without seeing it first.

You are welcome to come check mine out its the deep blue edge series.

Deep blue 80 edge here as well, love the foot print of the tank and it's large enough that I don't think about upgrading all the time

I have had a 80 rimless twice now and absolutely love it! I have the edge series which is there version of a starphire glass. I currently have 2 radion gen 3's over it but going to be adding 4 48" t5 to it shorty.
Deep blue 80 edge here as well, love the foot print of the tank and it's large enough that I don't think about upgrading all the time

I just double checked the website and I do see the 80g Edge tank now. I had to go to the Edge category instead of the Rimless category. Anyone know of a good place to shop for this tank? I've been quoted anywhere from $350 to $480 for the 80g Rimless, but I don't know if those quotes are for the Edge version or not.

You are welcome to come check mine out its the deep blue edge series.

I might take you up on that. I'm already starting to purchase equipment, but I haven't committed on a tank or stand yet.

I have a 60 cube Edge. The only complaint for me is the 24inch depth is just a bit to deep for me to reach the bottom without standing on something. Not a huge deal but sometimes its frustrating. Other than that its great.

-and get it from FAOIS. I got a great deal on the tank plus stand.

I have a 60 cube Edge. The only complaint for me is the 24inch depth is just a bit to deep for me to reach the bottom without standing on something. Not a huge deal but sometimes its frustrating. Other than that its great.

-and get it from FAOIS. I got a great deal on the tank plus stand.

Cool, the 80g is 20" deep so that shouldn't be a problem. I might have the stand built a little taller than usual, though. The shallow dimensions mean it'd be a good top-down tank, but I kinda want as much room as possible in the sump area. I'm trying to keep this build as clean and maintained as possible.

I'll call get and quote, thanks!

As far as custom built stands, I was planning on having a metal stand built and attach nice wooden panels with magnet mounts so I can access the sump area from every direction if necessary. I've always had wooden stands... anyone have experience with metal stands? I think I'd go for aluminum as a material and use rare earth magnets to mount the wooden panels.

Something like this:

04.jpg
09.jpg

Back