First One

Thought I'd try another. ;) not my best stacking shot but I still like it.

DnD-2011-04-23-014950_small.JPG

Couple things. First use during a time of day when it's really cloudy or even in a dimmly lit room. ISO on 100. Then I take it to about f8-f11. Try not to have anything close behind the subject. Use the flash. Shutter about 1/60 or a bit faster. Get the camera somewhat close to the subject, but make sure the flash doesn't get blocked. Take the shot metering on the subject. What happens is the flash only has time to reflect the subject. By the time any other light comes back to the sensor, the shutter is closed.
I thought about this, but I was thinking light was so fast that there wasnt anyway the flash would only light the subject and not bounce off the other stuff and get back to the sensor. This still doesnt seem right to me...

I wonder if it depends if you trigger the flash off first or second curtain?

I know it works that way, as you can see. I've been doing it like that for a few years. It also may help that the flash and camera meter on the subject alone. Try it. Also the camera is in AP. If it doesn't work, adjust the compensator down. This should speed up the shutter and the flash duration.

Jesse very nicely done. What are the perticulars of your photo gear? Possibly a pic of your setup, aspiring photgrapher here.

Most of my stuff is here.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18681876&postcount=2

Really I'm still aspiring too!!! I learn more and more as time goes by. You'll see most of the stuff I've picked up so far isn't very expensive, though I've picked up a few good lenses of late. For most of the pics in this thread, the lenses and tube are cheeper ones and everything is set manually, even though the camera's in AP.

Most of my stuff is here.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18681876&postcount=2

Really I'm still aspiring too!!! I learn more and more as time goes by. You'll see most of the stuff I've picked up so far isn't very expensive, though I've picked up a few good lenses of late. For most of the pics in this thread, the lenses and tube are cheeper ones and everything is set manually, even though the camera's in AP.

What is the lens second from the left? The one with the AI coupling shoe?

Back