First time plumbing...

nemonick84

I'm about to plumb my new 120 in-wall setup and I have a few basic questions after having checked out the pvc at Home Depot. I noticed a lot of the elbows, T's, ball valves etc have threading on the inside, yet the actual piping has no threading. Do you have to thread the pvc with some kind of threading tool or are the threads there just to allow the adhesive to bond more effectively? Also, what kind of adhesive should I use...I've seen that purple primer but I'm not sure if that's to be used in conjunction with something else or what. A product referral would be very appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick.

Just get the fittings without the threading. I like using the threaded pieces for connections to expensive ball valves that I want to re-use if I change my plumbing. If that's the case you need to use a slip/male threaded coupling. A lot of people use the purple primer, but it looks kinda sloppy when they are done. I use the clear primer/cleaner and the clear cement.

Primer_30753.jpg

PVC_Med_Clear_31020.jpg

Awesome. Thanks a lot.
One more question. If I'm using a 1" pipe for my overflow....what should my return pipe be....does 3/4" sound about right?
It's a 120G tank and I want a turnover of about 600-700 gph.

If your return is 1", might as well use 1" all the way. That should give you the turnover you want.

3/4" would work just fine, but if your return pump output is bigger, then I would make it the same size. I would put a ball valve on the return so you can dial it down and/or shut the water off when it comes time to work on the pump.

3/4 is just fine or 1" take your pick. Remember that it is possible to push more flow through a 3/4 inch pipe under pressure than a 1" drain pipe can handle. The key here isn't the return size. Make sure that for 1" drain your not exceeding 600 GPH return rate. Pick your pump accordingly. Otherwise your in for a problem no matter what return size you use.

Back