Fish for my new aquarium?

Chris918

Hello,

I have a reefer 350 aquarium (91 gallon total, 73 display) that has been up for 3 months now. Parameters seem stable and currently no issues to speak of so I think I'm ready for fish.

I have been having trouble with which fish to add. I would really like some suggestions for the size of tank I have. I really enjoy Anthias, Tangs, and Chromis. I've never had any experience with anthias and don't know which species to even consider. Chromis are a much cheaper alternative but seem to always kill each other or die or uronema in my experience.

My tank probably isn't the optimal size for Tangs. I already have a small yellow that has been quarantined and will be added.

I am very eager to hear any and all suggestions. Hopefully with some help from the community I'll have a stocking list and a plan moving forward.

Thank you!

Tank measurements?

Ideally, you would research and compile a fish list before buying any fish. Then you could decide the order of introduction, adding smaller, more timid fish first.

Chromis and anthias are both excellent at dying in aquariums. A good choice for schooling fish are zebra dart fish. For harems, I like royal grammas.

Best of luck with your new tank!

Thanks for chiming in Michael.

My tank is 47 inches long, 21 inches tall, and 20 inches wide.
I have certainly heard that Chromis and Anthias die very easily. I would prefer to get some fish that are hardy and not needing to be replaced every few months.

Perhaps I should avoid those two fish just because they are prone to problems so easily.

Take a look on live aquaria site. Lots of different fish, and each has stats like min size aquarium, reef compatibility and so on.

Once you narrow it down to few, you can ask about those specific ones, and get much better answers. And not to be Tang police, but I would say skip tangs all together, they need bigger aquariums.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/15/marine-fish

I have my first anthias, and they are a great fish. Get a pair of you can.

Great mix of color, movement, and temperament.

I have a Reefer 250 and the 6 fish in there get on very well together - 2x Occ Clowns, Yellow Tang, Lawnmower Blennie, Orchid Dottyback and Sixline Wrasse. Lots of folk have issues with the last but I introduced him as a juvenile along with the others over a 4 month period and he is a model citizen. In your 350 you could add a couple more, but this is my experience to help you. All are 2YO+ and going well. Here is a shot of a few of them.

6c07c959327fc87d36a98354e9faafed.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would avoid chromis/damsels entirely. They tend to get mean as they age - either towards other fish or to others of their same type. The YT will probably be ok, but it if seems to be getting stressed, consider a Tomini or other bristletooth. They stay relatively small and will do fine in a 4' tank IMO. You couldn't give me a 6 line wrasse - they almost invariably go rogue eventually and will be nearly impossible to get out.

The only anthias I would suggest are lyretails. I got three juveniles (female) and let them grow up together. One changes into a male and they spend the day swimming around together. I Don't do anything special to feed them - Usually NLS pellets once a day, with something from the frozen section maybe once or twice a week.

Fairy Wrasses would be a good choice. They are very colorful and fairly easy to care for. Ditto for a Leopard Wrasse if you get a healthy specimen. They can be poor shippers, so directly from a trusted LFS is your best bet there.

IMHO, no tank is complete with a blennie of some sort and a yellow watchman goby. Consider a cleaner shrimp or two as well. They can be fascinating to watch.

hth!

Back