Fish tank disasters

I once had a 75g blow a seam. Luckily I was standing right there and had an empty 30 to take the fish.

Our cat stepped on the tank's powerbar behind the stand and turned it off while I was out of town. Only my maroon clown and a couple extremely hardy corals survived.

Our cat stepped on the tank's powerbar behind the stand and turned it off while I was out of town. Only my maroon clown and a couple extremely hardy corals survived.

hopefully it still isnt on the floor. You want all your plugs and power bars off the floor in case of waster spills

Crashed the tank in some way that involved expired lemon juice and a huge bacterial bloom. Lost everybody except a very hardy sand snail.

Power failure. Anti-siphon hole on return line was clogged. Half the tank drained. Power came back on. Return pump froze. 20g hex tank baked under 250W MH light for heaven only knows how long, since I was in Europe at the time.

Good times.

Took down the (live) Christmas tree, then decided to give the tank a good algae scrubbing. The fish starting darting around and their colors became "electric". I wound up losing a Majestic and a Heniocus. Others survived. I wonder if there was pesticide or flame retardant on the tree.

fish tank disaster

fish tank disaster

Had entire back of 180 gal acrylic tank blow out as it was being filled, after a complete first floor re-model (sun-room, kitchen, wood floors) the day after the contractor finished. good news - only fresh water in tank (was going to add salt), bad news (-10 below in Wisco, wife walks in as tank blows), 4 months of dehydration fans, new wood floors, garage cold to sleep in...

Back