Flasher Wrasse questions

Chooch1

Some questions for the flaher wrasse experts out there: Do flasher wrasses fade like some of the fairy wrasses? If they do fade, do any species hold their color better? How long can they live? Do they keep flashing after they are well acclimated to the tank and their tankmates? Do they get used to their reflection and no longer flash? Can males of different species be kept together? Thanks.

Do flasher wrasses fade like some of the fairy wrasses? I dont think they do and the ones I have kept never have. How long can they live? can't answere that Do they keep flashing after they are well acclimated to the tank and their tankmates? The ones i have flash everday at the ssame time. Can males of different species be kept together? yes they can but i would you a specimen cup when you introduce a new one to the tank..it will help on aggression imo

Flasher wrasses do not fade as do the blue group of fairy wrasses. However, they will not present nuptial coloration except in the presence of a female. Flasher wrasses do not flash only during acclimation. They will flash when feeding, when courting, when fighting. I always use a specimen cup to SOCIALLY acclimate new wrasses.

Snorvich,

What is the difference between the nuptial coloration and the flashing coloration? I thought their colors intensified when they flashed? Are the colors more intense or different in the nuptial state? Thanks.

Nuptial coloration is the most intense and will only occur when "courting". However the normal flashing that can occur is gorgeous; you would not be disappointed. The Kuiter book has nuptial colorations if you are inclined to research further.

Back