Flatworm control

Ghstwolf

My tank is going thru a nasty bit of planaria at the moment. I would much rather use natural methods vrs using chemicals.

I've read that a melaranus wrasse will eat the things, but I'm wondering will one of these and my six-line will get along in a 90g??

In a 90g, the 6-line probably won't give you too much trouble, but that's not a given.

One thing to keep in mind is that a melaranus might eat the flatworms. I've seen too many tanks where they didn't touch them. If there is a fish that you want, and it ends up eating flatworms, that's great. But don't add a fish you don't want just because you think it will eat them; you risk being stuck with a fish you don't want that's not doing what it was supposed to do.

Yea I understand that.. There is always a 50/50 chance involved.. Especially when I will be adding food to feed the other fish. I was simply asking is all.. I am currently using the siphon method to remove as many of the flatworms as I can, I'm just trying to avoid using chemicals like eXit as much as possible.

I do enjoy the look of the melaranus and think it would add another flash of color and a swimmer to my tank. Again why I asked if it would get along with my six-line.. I know they can sometimes get aggressive as they get older.

I would never buy an animal just for 1 purpose, unless that purpose is enjoyment of watching it in my system. Even at the store I work, I won't sell a fish to a customer who wants it for just 1 reason.. ie.. Copperbands for aptasia control or sea hare for hair algea.. There are other ways to remove them..

My tank is going thru a nasty bit of planaria at the moment. I would much rather use natural methods vrs using chemicals.

I've read that a melaranus wrasse will eat the things, but I'm wondering will one of these and my six-line will get along in a 90g??

Had a 6 line in my 125 and he ruled it, but its your only shot without using chemicals to help with the flatworms of not i would suggest flatworm exit. If you have a serious problem more than one treatment is necessary.

I bought a Melanarus and he took care of them all within a few weeks. Never saw any again! I guess I got lucky

+1 on the melanarus wrasse. eradicated my flatworms, very active and enjoyable fish for me anyway.

I also had a melanurus wipe out flatworms in a tank. It only took him a few days before I had a hard time finding one even when I was looking for them!

I don't know about adding him with an established 6-line, you might want to consider an acclimation box or fence.

Back