Floats = scratches?

ReefWhatYouSow

So I'm guessing that this doesn't just happen with the brand Algae Free but I use the Piranha Float. The Velcro pad on the inside of the tank started scratching the inside of my glass. Well... I guess it's not the pad but that little snails that have started growing within the pad so I'm guessing that's what is making the scratches.

Want to make other newbies aware that this can happen. So make sure to change your pads!

Also... for those who have experience with this please chime in! I'm guessing I'm stuck with scratches [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been. I heard not to leave scrapers in the tank, should I not be leaving the float either?

Get a tunze scrapper. The only thing that touches the glass are the scraping blades.

This one is just for the daily film algae, and then I have another float that I switch out that has the blade. It's the bladed version for the Piranha.

I take all the pieces out of the tank between uses. I put a piece of cardboard between the magnets for storage.

Definitely take them out when not in use. I noticed a lot of corraline and calcium buikd up when I left them in the tank long term.

I will definitely be doing that. Wish I knew before. The scratches aren't big but there is enough to **** me off. Well... I guess just one would have ****ed me off.

There isn't anything that I can do about the scratches now huh?

I scratched the inside of my tank too with the same float. Im not sure if it was a snail growing on it or a piece of sand. I always leave mine out of the tank between cleans now. Although I'd like to eventually upgrade to a 180-200.

Because of the gap between magnets and glass/acrylic, the Tunze scrapers can pick up iron from the tank and cause significant damage. Inspect them before every use. Before you claim your tank has no iron, run a magnet through your sand or base of live rock. You may be shocked.

I pull my tunze scraper between cleanings just because I don't want to leave the metal blade in the water. The plastic blades were ineffective at best in my experience.

My mag scrubbers stay in full time, never had a problem. I do keep them well clear of the sand, I think sand stuck in hem is more likely to scratch than snails, coralline, etc

I pull my tunze scraper between cleanings just because I don't want to leave the metal blade in the water. The plastic blades were ineffective at best in my experience.

My mag scrubbers stay in full time, never had a problem. I do keep them well clear of the sand, I think sand stuck in hem is more likely to scratch than snails, coralline, etc

I agree with the tunze scraper. I pull my out of the take after cleaning. Also agree the plastic blade seems to be only good at film algae and so I use the metal blade as well.

I agree with the tunze scraper. I pull my out of the take after cleaning. Also agree the plastic blade seems to be only good at film algae and so I use the metal blade as well.

I used to take a Magic Eraser and slice into three thin slices. Placed that in the tank between the Tunze inside magnet and the Tunze outside magnet (Strong). This was the best cleaner I have experienced. Only problem was that my tank was 3/4" thick and marginal for the magnet strength. The magic eraser is "magic" :)

Back