Flow question

hoodrat

Ok out of curiosity I was wondering do you need to have your pumps up high enough in the tank to agitate the surface of your water. Or can you simply move your pumps lower in the tank to move the water but still leave the surface not so turbulant.

I usually try to agitate the surface to break up the oily film that gets on there and to encourage gas exchange. But it depends on the rest of your system as to whether you need extra gas exchange. I always figure that more is better as far as that goes. But I find the oily film really unsightly, so I always want that moving. Besides, the agitated surface makes for better glitter lines. :)

The reason I was wondering cause before when my pumps are near the top I usually just shut down the pumps to look into the tank. Since it is a rubbermaid and viewable only from above.

But with the pumps towards the bottom I can see in the tank when i walk by. And kinda like it a lil better the drain from the tub to my sump pulls plenty of water and mixes with air into the sump. So I would think that the gas exchange shouldnt be a issue. Thanks mike

In your case, with the rubbermaid, I'd just leave the pumps at the bottom so you can see in. If it was a display tank, I'd agitate the surface as Andy said.
Gale

Back