Flushing a fish down the toilet..

I flushed a live Molly down the drain before. It was swimming sideways & it was going to die anyway so I flushed it.

Once I moved all of my FW fish from my 20g to my 55g my black molly started chasing all of my other fish. I moved it to a 1.5g tank while I decided what to do with it. After a few days I put it back in & it went right back to chasing. I pulled it out again & was thinking about either flushing it or cutting it up & turning it into fish food. After a week & a half I gave it another shot & it's been fine since then.

Still debating on whether or not to eat my red claw shrimp, though. Damned thing has caught & eaten both of my Bala Sharks.

From what I read before I got it it's supposed to be a fairly uneventful shrimp. I read it wasn't aggressive, but it is opportunistic.

Most people talk about taking them out & holding them in their hands to feed it & stuff. It is cool to see it come out of hiding when I feed the tank for it to grab a shrimp pellet. And for the most part it just hides during the day & prefers to run away from my Clown Loaches vs attack them.

What I've seen as "red claw" shrimp are Macrobrachium sp., the males of which get somewhat large with large claws. IME they tend to be aggressive towards most anything. I've seen them actively hunt down fish, despite being well fed.

I've got a female that will grow to about 8cm. My Loaches will grow to about 6-8" over 5 years & my Pleco will grow to 1-2'.

It's been hiding the last few days because it's been shedding, but if I ever see it actively hunting I'll remove it & take it to the LFS. From there they can do with it as they please.

Keep in mind, 8cm is about 20 inches. They are rather large shrimp, typically raised for food. We're seeing excess juveniles coming into the aquarium trade from the food aquaculture folk.

8cm isn't 20 inches. I think the conversion is roughly 2.5cm=1 inch. So it should get to just over 3" in length.

I didn't know people actually ate the red claw shrimp. Not that I really want to eat a $5 shrimp. :p

Back