FMAS is coming to Miami: June and July Meetings!!!!

AquamanE

FMAS's next two meetings will be in Miami. Last year's meetings in Miami where very successful, so here we come again!!! :bounce3:

Both meetings will be held on the 4th Tuesday of June and July. June 26th, and July 24th.

Meetings will be held at the Miami Science Museum.
3280 South Miami Avenue Miami, FL 33133
(305) 646-4200

June's speaker (Tuesday June 26th, 2012) will be long time FMAS member Zach Ostroff. Zach is working on his graduate degree at Nova Southeastern University. His degree in Marine Biology has led him to devote his time to Coral Restoration. He will be joined by his partner in the project Keri O'Neil.

Zachary Ostroff
Position: Research Assistant, Nova Southeastern University Oceanographic Center
Laboratory: Coral Reef Restoration, Assessment and Monitoring
Education: B.S. Marine Science - Eckerd College, St. Petersburg, FL
Research: My work focuses on the growth and culture of the staghorn coral, Acropora
cervicornis. Specifically I am investigating differences between line nursery culture, in
which coral fragments are grown suspended in the water column, and more traditional
fixed nursery methods where coral fragments are secured to growth plates/pucks. The
line nursery I engineered and installed to test these differences has produced material for
thousands of fragments, which have already been used for a variety of purposes,
including fellow student projects and educational exhibits.

Keri O'Neil
Position: Research Assistant, Nova Southeastern University Oceanographic Center
Laboratory: Coral Histology/Land Based Nursery
Education: B.S. University of Maryland (Biology)
Research: My work is primarily focused on the maintenance and monitoring of our land-
based coral nursery, a 2500 gallon aquaculture system where we are culturing fragments
of Acropora cervicornis and other stony coral species found in Broward County. One of
my current projects is a comparison of growth and survival in offshore and land-based
coral nurseries. I am also interested in coral reproduction and larval studies, including
using aquaculture techniques to increase settlement and survival rates of sexually
produced coral larvae in situations where natural recruitment may be low.

FMAS%20banner.jpg

We will of course have a raffle!!!:hammer::bum:

July's meeting details will be coming out soon. :bounce1:

:wave::wave:

Next a hialeah meeting wohooo!!!! FMAS in the ghetto!!!!! Just kidding Eddie don't eat me!
If anyone wants to carpool let me know.

I'm going to try to make it. I don't know anything about Miami though... I hope I don't get lost.

Directions for none Miami folks:

Just north of Coconut Grove, across from Vizcaya Museum & Gardens. From the north, take I-95 to Exit #1A/SW 25 Road, stay in the right hand lane and follow the signs to the Museum/Planetarium. From the south, follow U.S. 1 and make right just before the split with I-95. From Metrorail, exit at the Vizcaya Station and cross U.S. 1 via the pedestrian overpass.

BTW- Raffle: Carib Sea Rocks, Carib Sea Sand, Awesome Fish. :fish1:
And........ everyone will get a Drs. Foster and Smith goodie bag with a $20 coupon for your next purchase.!!!!!:fish1:

:beer:

Back