Found some pyramellid snails

Underwaterrealms

Premium Member
I have a 6 inch tiger squamosa that has been exhibiting pinched mantles in my reef and not expanding fully. I thought at first it was due to the fact I have him under too much light 2x400 watt mh 10k and 1 x 250 watt 12k. So I moved him in the shade. He did not react so i started inspecting him for snails and did not find any for a week but last night found 3 pyramellid snails.

My question is how do I help him recover?

I removed manually the snails and will continue to every night.
He is not reacting to movement very well at all very sluggish and when I touch the mantle he hardly contracts.

He is secreting a new byssal filament after I seperated the one he had to inspect him which points to being somewhat ok right?

Should I dose with more phytoplankton coral accel zoe anything to give him more nourishment?

Any Ideas, Just got a new camera after turkey day will post picture tomorrow, hopefully.

Chuck

Manual removal is your best bet. Put the clam where it cannot attach ato anything(sandbed) and keep checking for snails.

If the clam is not to big it may help to do some really good tartget feeding with DT's phytoplankton in a sterile container with water from your tank. If this is not an option keep feeding the tank with DT's and turn off cirulation for 10-15 minutes, so that it does not just get removed from any filters you may have.

Best of luck, and looking forward to seeing a pic.

Rob

Here is the best picture I could come up with you can see he is still a little pinched but he seems to be doing better.

What do you think.

Chuck

Check your snails also. I found several pyramellid snails hosting on my Astrea snails. I have over 100 Astrea snails. My Maxis and Squamosas are fine.

ridetheducati said:
Check your snails also. I found several pyramellid snails hosting on my Astrea snails. I have over 100 Astrea snails. My Maxis and Squamosas are fine.

Those particular type of snails, feed just on snails, they don't harm our clams. There are so many species of tiny predatory specialized feeding snails, it's very hard to say what eat's what just by examination.

I have some tiny snails, with the unicorn type shell that come out at night on my glass, and scurry away once the lights turn on. No Idea what they are, but currently I don't have any clams, nor any snails, so I'm doubting they are mullusk feeders.

Back