Fox face

Fox face

• Not a real problem keep him

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • Get him out as soon as possible

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

milspec

I know I had at least two of them before but at the time they were considered Reef Safe.

Are they as reef safe as a tang, and I have seen tangs pick on corals and clams a lot of times.

Or are they a time bomb waiting to eat your torch corals and zoos?

I got him to eat razor caulerpa I was tired of ripping out every once and a while,
that accidentally got in to the display from some live rock.
He ate it all.

Are they 50 /50 on picking on corals or is it a smaller chance like with a tang?

Last edited:
I do not have one, so take this with some caution. Everything I have read says they are mainly reef safe, but it is listed that they may go after some lps and sps.

I have kept regular foxface and magnificent foxface both if reefs with absolutely no problems. Every fish has it's own personality and some might pick but i'd say you are fine unless you see him picking at something.

Anyone have one in their reef with alot of corals and no problems.
I have a mixed reef....

Now thinking back I did have a fish pick on my Acroporas but I can't remember if it was the fox faces. I do remember selling them but I think it was because they got too big. This was years ago.

I have one vote for each.

My first Foxface was never a problem. Had him for years. I bought him to elimiate a valonia problem that I had (and he did).

My second one was a pygmy at the store (about an inch). Felt bad for him. After two years, he is now about 4 inches and still growing. I think that his diet of zoanthids has helped his growth spurt. This one is getting yanked as soon as I catch him. I am moving him to another tank where my zoanthids are actually a nuisance and killing my acros. He can eat all he wants!

I'm following this thread, as I'd love to have a foxface, but can't pull the trigger due to my mixed reef.

What is the minimum size tank anyone would consider for one of these anyway. I know a one spot is on the smaller end for them and gets to 7 plus inches?

I've had a Mag in my mixed reef for a year now and it's never picked at anything but algae.

Well I will keep an eye on him. I think I remember pulling a 180 apart to get one out before. It was eating something and I think it was the tips of acropora. It may have been another tank or fish I have been doing this for way too long. I don't like fish in my reef they make me nervous but what's a reef without them?

Well Today he is munching on my plating Acropora from the bottom there are small chunks missing. He needs out:uzi: :fish1: I'm going to help him....
I'm taking my reef apart this weekend anyway so it won't be too hard to catch him then.
I have seen him eat some kenya tree corals but I have so much he is doing me a favor.

Fox Face
Not Reef Safe!!!!

Last edited:
Back