Foxface Not Eating

JamesHolt

I have a Magnificent Foxface (Siganus magnificus) that I got on the 16th, I have yet to see him eat more than nibbling at a algae sheet, then spit it out.

I have tried
Omega One Super Veggie both brown and green..
Fresh romaine lettuce ..
LRS "herbivore frenzy"..
Omega One marine micro pellets, and flakes..
Sustainable Aquatics Hatchery diet (real small pellets)..
Brine cubes, Carnivore cubes, Herbivore cubes..
There is a big wad of hair algae the size of a grape fruit in with him but he ignores it as well..

The sheets and lettuce I am putting in a clip..
Everything else, just dropping it in..
Getting ready to try some more cubes, but use a bulb feeder with them..
Other that some snails he is by himself..

His color is good and he is real active, fins are not raised..

ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are zero

any suggestions??

Try some Yaki Sushi Nori roasted seaweed..you can purchase from a local Korean store $6 for 40 sheets! My Tangs love the stuff! It's much better than what you buy at the LFS!

Mysis?, My rabbit loves fresh scallops and people shrimp. Calupra and roasted seaweed are also good. I don't think they like cheato or hair algae.

Tried the scallops and shrimp, the nori sheets arrived today, we will see what happens... I will feel better when I see him eat though

Hate when newcomers don't eat. Had a Dwarf Lionfish and he wouldn't touch a thing...just stalk stuff like he was hungry and ready to pounce than leave it alone. Had tried Mysis, Beef Heart, shrimp, even live feeders such as guppies and goldfish (yes i know freshwater feeders are a no no) but some food is better than nothing. He died in 3 weeks from not eating.

Good luck with yours!

I had a black and white butterfly that refused to eat anything, but he would follow around my Tomini tang and try to nip at his tail. Inspite my best efforts he only lasted a week. But I did buy him at petco straight out the shipping container.

My much more legitimate LFS, wont sell a fish until they get it to eat at least frozen food.

I put the Nori in last night, he just swims through it. Put frozen cubes, chopped shrimp,scallops, frenzy in he just swims through it. He just swims back and forth for a few then goes and hides for a while , then comes out and does it all again... Dont know what to think about this one...

Is one of the foods you tried a flake food? I've had mine about a month and he'll eat anything that is thrown in the tank, flake, freeze dried, pellets, frozen and nori sheets. However I never see him nipping at the rockwork. Good luck, they're a great looking fish for sure.

Omega One Super Veggie both brown and green..
Fresh romaine lettuce ..
LRS "herbivore frenzy"..
Omega One marine micro pellets, and flakes..
Sustainable Aquatics Hatchery diet (real small pellets)..
Brine cubes, Carnivore cubes, Herbivore cubes

and now nori sheets,,,,all of the nori sheet was gone when I came home just now, maybe he is eating it, could be the turbos, time will tell, gonna feed everyone now and sit back to watch

James, have you tried Caulpera, Ulva or Red Dragon macro-algae? Its hard to find locally and can bepricy especially the last two. I believe its the closest thing to their wild diet, they are rabbits after all.

Back