Tomini Tang…not eating..help!

Sfgolf

Hello! Hoping I can get some guidance on how to get my fish to eat! Purchased a Tomini Tang (3 weeks ago), has been isolated in quarantine during this time and been through preventive parasite + bacterial treatments. Water parameters are all normal. He seems healthy overall but he’s absolutely not appearing to consume any food! I’m afraid it is going to pass away due to the lack of nutrition. I’ve tried seaweed/nori/ brine/mysis/flakes and pellets. No luck to getting him to consume. Here are some pics to give you an idea of its (visual) health. Any observations that I am missing? Not sure if I can attach a video here to show its movement but will start with the pics first. Would appreciate any suggestions to help me save this one!!

Attachments

• IMG_2035.jpeg
    IMG_2035.jpeg
    1,007.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2034.jpeg
    IMG_2034.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Hello! Hoping I can get some guidance on how to get my fish to eat! Purchased a Tomini Tang (3 weeks ago), has been isolated in quarantine during this time and been through preventive parasite + bacterial treatments. Water parameters are all normal. He seems healthy overall but he’s absolutely not appearing to consume any food! I’m afraid it is going to pass away due to the lack of nutrition. I’ve tried seaweed/nori/ brine/mysis/flakes and pellets. No luck to getting him to consume. Here are some pics to give you an idea of its (visual) health. Any observations that I am missing? Not sure if I can attach a video here to show its movement but will start with the pics first. Would appreciate any suggestions to help me save this one!!
I know it's a moot point now, but generally before doing prophylactical treatments on a new arrival in QT it is best to get them eating first.

Did you get the fish from your local fish store? From mail order? Check with the source to see if it was eating and if so, what.

Brine shrimp isn't very nutritious but better that to get a fish eating. Try live adult brine shrimp. Download then read, the Fish Nutrition document for some suggestions. You tried mysis. Was it frozen mysis? Best to try frozen foods before moving towards dried foods.

Remove distractions. Lower lighting. Keep people away from the QT.

How are you presenting the seaweed? Rubberband some true seaweed to a rock and keep it there.

Thanks for the response. I got the fish from my LFS. They were feeding them dried flakes, which I tried as well. I’ve also been feeding/tried the frozen brine and mysis. I’ve not tried the live adult brine shrimp though, but will give that a try along with the seaweed on a rock. Appreciate the guidance.

Had same problem took weeks before he started eating and was super shy I couldn’t even get close to the tank with out him scattering

Thanks. Hopefully, this turns out the same way; I’ll stay optimistic. I tried nori infused w/ garlic and tied it to a rock (been about 24 hrs) but still no visual sign that he is going for it. Time will tell….fingers crossed!

Thanks. Hopefully, this turns out the same way; I’ll stay optimistic. I tried nori infused w/ garlic and tied it to a rock (been about 24 hrs) but still no visual sign that he is going for it. Time will tell….fingers crossed!
Just an FYI. . .
The use of garlic is controversial. There is a component in the garlic clove called Alliinase. This, I personally believe is the important ingredient which has a positive affect on ornamental marine fishes. When the garlic plant is in the ground and an insect chews into it, allinase is released and repels the insect. Hence, not too many insects will eat a garlic clove.

However, Alliinase is an enzyme and has a short shelf life. By the time a bottle of garlic juice, minced or chopped garlic is bought, Alliinase has significantly been depleted. I do use garlic 'juice,' for my fish HOWEVER I make it fresh and use it immediately, refrigerate the rest and use the rest within 72 hours.

The sailfin tang I brought home after supposedly eating well for “months” at the LFS did the same thing. He wouldn’t eat anything for me, but started nibbling on the gracilaria macroalgae I put in the tank (from the refugium) almost immediately.

Just an FYI. . .
The use of garlic is controversial. There is a component in the garlic clove called Alliinase. This, I personally believe is the important ingredient which has a positive affect on ornamental marine fishes. When the garlic plant is in the ground and an insect chews into it, allinase is released and repels the insect. Hence, not too many insects will eat a garlic clove.

However, Alliinase is an enzyme and has a short shelf life. By the time a bottle of garlic juice, minced or chopped garlic is bought, Alliinase has significantly been depleted. I do use garlic 'juice,' for my fish HOWEVER I make it fresh and use it immediately, refrigerate the rest and use the rest within 72 hours.
Appreciate the insight & explanation, Leebca. I’m desperate for a favorable outcome at this point so will try the fresh garlic juice tomorrow (versus the seachem bottle)! Thx.

Thanks for the response. I got the fish from my LFS. They were feeding them dried flakes, which I tried as well. I’ve also been feeding/tried the frozen brine and mysis. I’ve not tried the live adult brine shrimp though, but will give that a try along with the seaweed on a rock. Appreciate the guidance.
Did you actually see the fish eating flakes at the LFS? There can be a difference between what is put into the aquarium and what the fish is actually eating. Also best to observe the fish actually eating at the LFS before buying.

Did you actually see the fish eating flakes at the LFS? There can be a difference between what is put into the aquarium and what the fish is actually eating. Also best to observe the fish actually eating at the LFS before buying.
Correct; yes I saw the flakes being dropped and I watched this Tomini came out of hiding to feed. Saw him consume these flakes vigorously and I was like “I’m sold…..I’ll take it!”

Correct; yes I saw the flakes being dropped and I watched this Tomini came out of hiding to feed. Saw him consume these flakes vigorously and I was like “I’m sold…..I’ll take it!”
That's the right way to do it. That is about the best that you can do.

When a fish is relocated to new water, water chemistry, and new environment, it's feeding habit may change. Sometimes the presence of other fish eating will get the fish to eat. I use saltwater acclimated (freshwater) mollies in with the QT fish. They eat and the new fish often 'gets the idea' of eating. The mollies aren't that competitive and always leave the saltwater fish alone, yet having other fish eating seems to stimulate the new arrival. Also, black mollies are quick to show signs of parasites, like Marine Ich that may be present. Not all black mollies are the best choice, just one species seems to be the best for this.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do want to keep this QT running so adding the black mollies will help with that….and hopefully this Tomini starts to eat this week!

Btw - To your point about fish seeing other fish eat and getting stimulated, is it worth the risk to move him from the QT to the DT in the near future…..if he is still appearing to be healthy and moving around? I recognize it’s a calculated risk but it will be 5 weeks (next week) since he has been in QT. Just thinking out loud. Is there a timeframe when (if he survives) it may be worth the risk to move him to the DT with the other fish?

Thanks for the suggestion. I do want to keep this QT running so adding the black mollies will help with that….and hopefully this Tomini starts to eat this week!

Btw - To your point about fish seeing other fish eat and getting stimulated, is it worth the risk to move him from the QT to the DT in the near future…..if he is still appearing to be healthy and moving around? I recognize it’s a calculated risk but it will be 5 weeks (next week) since he has been in QT. Just thinking out loud. Is there a timeframe when (if he survives) it may be worth the risk to move him to the DT with the other fish?
You've worked hard and diligently to take care of this fish. You show care, concern and attention. This is all very commendable and you are to be congratulated. (y) So, don't take any shortcuts now. You don't want to put this fish into the DT any sooner than absolutely the right time.

Adding this fish to the DT may just give the fish places to hide (assuming you have a landscaped DT). Adding this fish into a community tank (assuming that is what you have) may just intimidate the fish -- facing new tankmates. So, for two important reasons, you want to keep the fish in the QT for the proper time: 1) Verify the fish is parasite free, and 2) make sure the fish is eating.

Get some fat/weight on the fish. Marine fish store their fat not in what we think of as their belly, but just below the dorsal fin, above the lateral line. When that area is thick, the fish is fat.

After this, then the fish should swim in the DT.

Many, or most fish are extremely stressed in a bare tank like that. The parasite medication is a poison and only the dosage determines if it kills the parasites instead of the fish and the antibiotic kills the fishes gut bacteria so it has a big problem digesting any food.

It is also starting to get the beginnings of HLLE which also IMO is totally caused by stress.

Thats why your tang is not eating. Sorry, but thats my opinion.

Back