Foxface reef safe?

jcmjoe

I am wanting a foxface for my soft reef tank? I have heard mixed opinions on whether they are reef safe or not. I dont have a huge amount of corals but I would like to get more of them in the future. So far I have a Duncan, some Zoa's , a toadstool leather, trumpet and some red green mushrooms. I do have some algae in the tank the Foxface could munch on and Im not afraid to feed well if needed. ANy input is much apreciated!

Thanks

Had no problems. I work for a service company and we probably have 40 in some of our most high end reefs no problems. DWARF ANGELS HOWEVER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fox faces get really large and are big mouths to feed. My favorite are the bristletooth tangs they are super good munchers of all algae and never get tired of it. Super docile too compared to any other tang

The chief risk is to other fish and to you, because of the venom. I found that the cramped U's built into my reef caused a problem once mine got to about 5-6" in length (and they can get to 8")---he would freak if boxed in and use his spine on the way out...a case of tank size and maneuvering room. He took out about 3 fish this way---you'd find them demised with a red spot on their sides. Once he was gone, (I found him a home) there were no more mystery deaths. Humans don't die of the venom, but I've seen one case of necrosis that might have cost a thumb.Those are the downsides. But they are pretty, especially the scribbled, imho.

If you want one for algae control, it depends on what kind of algae you have. Foxfaces are great for macro control, like runaway Caulerpa. Bristletooth Tangs are good for detritus and film algae, like you scrape off your glass. Zebrasoma tangs are good for filamentous algae like hair algae. There is often overlap and also rogue fish that don't eat what they're supposed to, but those are the basics. Bottom line, Foxfaces are reef safe.

I am wanting a foxface for my soft reef tank? I have heard mixed opinions on whether they are reef safe or not. I dont have a huge amount of corals but I would like to get more of them in the future. So far I have a Duncan, some Zoa's , a toadstool leather, trumpet and some red green mushrooms. I do have some algae in the tank the Foxface could munch on and Im not afraid to feed well if needed. ANy input is much apreciated!

Thanks

If you have zoos or shrooms, you'll need to be careful. They sometimes will developed a taste for them.

I've had a few over the years. All were great algae eaters, some even eating bubble algae. None bothered coral. Supplement feeding with nori, give it room to swim, and you'll have a cool and happy fish.

I just got one, the one spot kind, to help with algae and he doesn't eat algae at all. I have seen him pick at a paly so hopefully it doesn't become an issue. I only have a few softies as well

So,I picked up a nice one spot last sunday. So far he seems pretty shy. I havent seen him eat yet, I hope he doesnt mess with my Zoa's or mushrooms! Im going to pick up some algae sheets here in the next day or so and see how that does. Thanks for all the input!

So,I picked up a nice one spot last sunday. So far he seems pretty shy. I havent seen him eat yet, I hope he doesnt mess with my Zoa's or mushrooms! Im going to pick up some algae sheets here in the next day or so and see how that does. Thanks for all the input!

Mine was really shy for a week or two. His colors would fade, fin flicking, and hiding. Now he's out and about and best buddies with my melanurus wrasse!

Back