Frag Tank

seefil

I'm setting up a 60 gal rimless 4'x2'x1' deep frag tank. Filtration will be a combination of live rock and an ATS, both in a 20 gal sump. My question is for those who have done Frag propagation before, should I put sand in the bottom of the tank? I plan on having a clean up crew to maintain the sand. I have the nature approach of filtration and feel the sand would be beneficial in many ways. I also know there are unforeseen circumstances. Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

No don't put sand in the bottom of the tank, my personal experience you want it bare so you can clean it easily for detritus buildup. You can always run a DSB in the sump if you need to but not necessary.

No don't put sand in the bottom of the tank, my personal experience you want it bare so you can clean it easily for detritus buildup. You can always run a DSB in the sump if you need to but not necessary.

Almost everyone I've talked to say Zoanthids like dirty tanks and tend to grow better in nutrient rich environments. As long as my parameters are on point, I don't understand the need for sterile. Is this wrong? If so, could you clarify your reasons? Thanks for jumping in.

Back