FREE - Blushing Leather Coral - Frag it

Gooli

Hi... I have a beautiful Blushing Leather Coral that has been thriving for over a year...it's huge...

I heard you can frag it, but i am not sure how.
If anyone can come over and knows how to do it (experience is a must) - then the frag piece is yours for FREE or you can trade something from the goodness of your heart :)

Here's a photo (top right):
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/1/62010IMG_2615.jpg

Let me know
gooliver

its for tang swimming space...AND i wanted something the looks different than what you always see

just grab a branch and slice it at the base with a razor blade. Couldn't be easier

While you do this carbon is a good idea since the leather will release some slime

Its actually quite easy to frag.
I'd show you how, and pick up a frag for my 120 'Leatherarium', if gas wasn't so high priced!

with your aquascaping, you have lots of room to grow out frags on the sand bed.

I can talk you through it via email or this post as its pretty straight forward. I have lots of fragging experience with various softies with good success rates.

I am a proponent of the 'toothpick method' of fragging, especially for various leathers.

Waht is your schedule like? I am sometimes in the field in San Pedro thursday mornings, and could make a trip over beofre anyone in my office would be the wiser!

hey sharkdude...i work in Torrance m-f and only available on the weekend...i live in west los angeles. it would be great if you came by...maybe i can trade you something for the trouble..

or...let's do it over here on chat

I could meet you at lunch on thursday.
I'll bring some mounting rubble, toothpicks, and rubberbands if you bring a couple fresh cut branches?

otherwise, like Bugsy says, slice off a branch or two or three at base and place in a bowl of tank water. run some carbon in a filter bag in your sump. take each cut piece and run a plastic toothpick through the base about 1/4in or so above the cut. Next, take a small piece of live rock rubble free of too much stuff grwing on it and slightly irregular with depressions, holes, etc. Place the cut end of the frag in contact with the rock in such a way that its in a depression and the toothpick ends are in near good points to secucre with a rubberband. Don't rubberband too tight as the pressure on the toothpick will shear it throgh the frag. Place back in tank in medium flow (on sand bed or perched on rock near mother colony). In a couple weeks time, the frag will attach to rock and resume growth. cut rubberband free and slide out toothpick. the cut mother may withdraw polyps for a day, but if its healthy, it will seal cuts and extend polyps again within a day or two. use a clean razor and don't hack. nice smooth slice, or quick cut with clean stainless sewing scissors are what I use.

I could trade a fresh frag of green sinularia leather for a frag of your leather.

I use large bone cutters, ones used for fragging acros. Some leathers have a tough stalk. Razor blades, I've found, especially for beginners, can cause a lot of tearing, and excessive cutting damage if not done properly. Scissors can cause more of a pinching tearing motion. The bone cutters compress, then sever clean. the cuts usually heal over within a week, Then follow sharkdude's procedure for attachment.

you haven't fragged it yet?

yeah, I'm still interested. trade for green sinularia or other?

I have a short week work schedule next week, the out of town thurs through sunday.

i just fragged a piece today after i got home..it was easy.
not looking to trade for another softy really...but tell you what...you can come and help frag more pieces and i'll give you one for free.

im only available on weekends.
no rush...whenever.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6921882#post6921882 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gooliver
i just fragged a piece today after i got home..it was easy.
not looking to trade for another softy really...but tell you what...you can come and help frag more pieces and i'll give you one for free.

im only available on weekends.
no rush...whenever.

glad to see you fraged it... to bad you didnt do it sooner i would have taken one....

PS... your baby doing great in the 300... he stays close to the other clowns..

Gabriel...nice pics man....glad he is well.
Next time you're around this area, let me know and i'll give you a frag

thanks wiggawam...i actually did it myself and it's quite easy...i will have frags ready to trade\sell soon.

quick update...the frag came lose from the toothpick - maybe i inserted it to close to the bottom of it...i put him in a strawberry basket with LR rubble...i heard that might work and he will attach himself

Back