FREE: chaeto and live sand (also, kalk reactor)

Lionel

Premium Member
I'm taking my refugium offline this afternoon and have a ton of chaeto and live sand to give away to whoever needs it. Gimme a call 090-8290-6443. I'm throwing it out if i dont get any interest.

Also I have a DIY Kalk reactor that I'm not going to use anymore.. i have decided to only dose two part for calcium / alk. I'll sell it for $50.

Lionel

Last edited:
here comes a ******* question, but ya'll know I'm the newb of the crew... what benefit will the Kalk reactor provide my tank?

It's not something you want to use without some planning, and water testing. if you dose kalkwasser the hard way (mix it in a cup, ect) then you can automate the dosing process and not have to worry about doing it yourself every day. it's a good way to maintain PH at night, if you dont run a reverse photoperiod refugium

Kalkwasser (calcium hydroxide) can add a low amount of calcium to the tank. It is not able to maintain calcium levels in a tank with anything but a low calcium demand. And, you cannot just add what you need to maintain Ca levels as is saturates out at about 2 tablespoons per gallon.....adding more just causes it to precipitate out and not really do anything for you....good that is.

It mixes up at saturation at a pH of about 12, so it is very caustic and in low doses, will not harm your tank or alter your pH too far from where you want it. If you drip it at a rate to match your evaporation rate, then it can really be a great asset and keep your pH up where you want it. I use Mrs. Wages pickling lime on my tank and it is good stuff and cheap. It cost more to have my friend ship it to me, than it did to buy it from the store. A kalk reactor is a nice way to add it. If you get fancy with a controller and all that it really can help. Many use it to combat any potential drop in pH from a Ca reactor.....works really good for that.

Back