Free Mantis

haggplumb

Hey,

Give me some advice on behavior that would help me catch a 1/2" Mantis and the little @#$% is yours for free.

I hear so many horror stories I just want him OWT... OUT! (Fred Flintstone)

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks in advance,

haggplumb

If you know the rock he is in and can take it out. Take the rock out and squirt some fresh, cold water into any holes he may be in and he will come out. If you do not know which rock he is in or if he is in the sand try a mantis trap. You can either buy one or borrow one from someone here. If you get him I'll take him and pay shipping.

crgeltn

crgeltn

No problem... I 've been checking the LFS for a trap but everyone says "Hmm... must be sold out" leading me to believe they don't really carry them.LOL

I think I know which rock he's in... do they ambush from the same spot... day or night... or do they move around at night and then return to the same hole?

I will have to move a few rocks to get to his so I'd like to increase my chances that he's home.

I first saw him when the light came on in the morning... and again when he 'whacked' a turbo early in the morning a few days ago.

I got a pretty good look at him then while he and the turbo were rolling around on the sand. I bent the crap out of my net and tried to scoop them both out, but the mesh got hung up on some rock... damn.

Anyway THANKS... I'll let you know.

haggplumb

FW Dip

FW Dip

While a FW dip may get the job done. It does alot more harm to the rock than just squirting small amounst of FW into the holes. By squirting small controlled amounts into the hiding spots not only will the FW exposure time be kept to a minimum it usually gets the job done faster. Just my opinion.:D

First, to help find out which rock he is in, take a piece of shrimp, krill, etc and stick it on a long piece of stainless steel wire or a bamboo skew and fish for him. He will jump out and grab the food, retreating back into him den.

Once you determine where he is, use the methods above to get him out of the rock, or bait him into a trap. You can use a small long plastic bottle, drill some small (1/8 holes in the sides and bottom), tie a string around the neck, bait with a shrimp and place it near where he lives in the rock. You will have to sit there and watch but it won't be long before he will come out and go for the food. When he goes in, pull the string up and lift the bottle out of the water. You got him.

Let me know when you get him and I will send you my address.

:D

I noticed that my mantis (that i finally caught this last friday) didnt seem to stay to one rock.. if he did i never seen him near it. Only time I saw him was when my pumps were off for a water change then I seen him zipping around the tank. I got so mad that I tore the tank apart and dipped the rock in fresh ro/di water (not my plan but i already had it mde in a big tub and it was the only thing big enough to dip some of the rock) Anyways dipping the rock was my option cause he kept darting to different rockwork lol.. but I finally got him and hes living in my sump now. I was told that dipping the rock would cause a cycle cause the fw would kill off stuff but so far no ammonia deteced.. all the feather worms etc on the rock are ok, unless the ammonia spike comes later? *shrugs* everything seems fine tho.

Just my experience... :)

Ger

I noticed that my mantis (that i finally caught this last friday) didnt seem to stay to one rock.. if he did i never seen him near it. Only time I saw him was when my pumps were off for a water change then I seen him zipping around the tank. I got so mad that I tore the tank apart and dipped the rock in fresh ro/di water (not my plan but i already had it mde in a big tub and it was the only thing big enough to dip some of the rock) Anyways dipping the rock was my option cause he kept darting to different rockwork lol.. but I finally got him and hes living in my sump now. I was told that dipping the rock would cause a cycle cause the fw would kill off stuff but so far no ammonia deteced.. all the feather worms etc on the rock are ok, unless the ammonia spike comes later? *shrugs* everything seems fine tho.

Just my experience... :)

Ger

mantis

mantis

I dipped four smaller rocks... one of which I was fairly certain was his hideout... nothing. my next plan is a homemade trap... I'll let you all know.

Thanks,

haggplumb

Nada...

Nada...

Haven't seen any sign of him. I tried to scoop him out one day when he was tearing up a turbo on the DSB... I toss some small rocks out that were in the 'empty' net... now I wonder if he hid in one of them. But I've never been that lucky.LOL

I put a trap in there with some shrimp but nothing... I don't know where he is now.

Haggplumb

Back