Frogfish Eggs!!

Ok so I have now aquired a total of 5 of these marble-mouthed Lophiocharons.

It seems the lfs think these are the stupid ugly ones... little do they know these are the best ones... They all eat frozen squid off tongs right away, they have the most intricate patterns and skin texture, and so far they dont die suddenly like those colored ones seem to(i lost my first black pictus and my 2nd is hit or miss with feeding sometimes).

Anyways, I now have 2 big and 3 smaller Liphiocharon which hopefully will work out to 3males and 2 females, which seems like a great ratio to me, tho right now I only know of my og confirmed female).

I will succeed.
And now I get to design and build a new tank rack for all these new fish and tanks(i got some cool divided tanks from a buddy too ;) )

Keep us updated, for sure!

Uberfugu, I have missed you! Hope you and your family are good, and that you have tanks full of frogfish! :)

Alright.
$h!t.

So I added what I hoped was a male(to this egg-laying females tank) a couple weeks ago, as I already posted....
Been feeding the heck outta them.

I have to move this tank system because Im getting new carpet....
Just went to go begin the transfer....

And man, wouldntcha know it....
The friggen male has a clutch of eggs attached to his side...

To all the ppl that doubted whether the first batch was viable or not, Im goin back on my position and will agree that those first eggs were NOT viable.
This batch looks COMPLETELY different.
This batch is not see thru at all, and they are more tightly clustered.

Now, after my initial hootin and hollerin, Im not gonna get overly excited until I see some sort of developement, which will be quite hard as the male is tucked up under the ledge in the darkness, but Im sure itll move eventually.

Anyways, Ill try to get a pic or two of it.

Now my dilema is that I gotta move the tank, but theres no chance in Heck that im gonna disturb this.

Ill keep updating as I learn more!

btw- on an excitement scale of 1-10, Im at like 27!

Really hard to get a good shot, and Ill continue to work on it.
But, for now . . . .

040812230708-2.jpg

As far as I know, no.
The guy above, uberfugu, had viable eggs that hatched, he thought all the babies died, one lived behind the rocks for a while till he found it, then it died.

I might have read about one other person that got hatched eggs, cant remember if it was that same person or not now, but to the best of my knowledge, nobody has gotten young to mature.
There is hardly any useful info out there pertaining to anything more than basics as far as ID/locale/food... no info at all(that I can find, and Ive looked long and hard) pertaining to actual mating...

About all we really know is that these fish hatch into mini adult with no larval stage, which is what makes this idea even the slightest bit sensible

Imma do it.
Imma be the first.
Im ready and waiting for my babies(if I get lucky and these eggs hatch).
I have a new tank/rearing system Im just finishing which should help me out greatly.

Well, apparently I caused some ruckus here even tho I didnt know it, and I just got back from my "vacation'....
During my absence from the forum, Ive had lots and lots of developements in my frogfish breeding attempts.

Lessee...
My baby frogfish are now just over a month old and doing great!
I havent lost a single one to natural causes, tho a camel shrimp did crawl into the breeder net and help itself to about 40 of my little babies before I figured out what was going on...

They are growing, they are eating, they are doing fantastic!!
I have an entire thread I made about the whole process on a different forum, because for whatever reason I was given the "vacation" on this one, so Im not gonna go back thru the entire process at this point...

So for all you folks that wanna see something different, all you folks that dont wanna see ANOTHER thread about baby clownfish, and for all the captive-bred lovers, and most importantly for all the FROGFISH lovers:

Day 23

Hope you all enjoy seeing something different being worked with, and its always pretty cool to help the captive-bred cause when it comes to saltwater fish!

That is very cool. I am glade to see they are all alive.
I have been thinking of getting an angler fish, can you recommend anyplace to get some information on keeping them. Any tip would be great. I would like to be prepared before I decide to get any and it seems you are doing thing right. I do like the fact that you are able to feed then frozen squid tenticals. Please direct me in the correct place.

Very cool! I have seen these guys in person and they look very healthy and hardy.
I even took some macro shots of them.

That's so cool. I'll be the first one to buy a baby, it'd be awesome to have one of the first cb anglers

Back