From Ocean to Aquarium

projectmayhem16

Has anyone seen the report From Ocean to Aquarium? I found it when doing a report for one of my classes at Millersville. I thought it was a pretty interesting article. Really opened my eyes to the whole trade. I take very much care when keeping my fish now.

From Ocean to Aquarium

i think a lot more people should be reading this article, im glad you posted it.
i have been trying to find out how to or where to purchase captivity bred fish for quite a while.
Thanks for the post.

I also recommend reading this PDF, however take it w/ a educated grain of salt. The numbers you'll see are incorrect, or at least correct in the sense that its next to impossible to get accurate census of collection on any creatures. Primarily due to the fact that importers have to pay taxes on actually numbers of animals and the actual import form are nothing more than pro-forma lists fo what the importer claim theyt sent.
If you do a search on this report you'll find more indepth info on the reasons to understand the report, but also what not to believe. Even the authors have explained they did the best they could but that figures are inaccruate

note to mr. snoww alot of stores are beginning to sell captive bred fish. all you have to do is ask. they'll order for you if they dont have it and make sure you ask for a care sheet so that you know its captive bred.

thanks so much for posting this! it will help me a lot in a project i'm doing on pet trade right now. holla for marine biology majors.

Great report... I wish more people cared though =/

thank goodness there's some green awareness going around in other industries... I think a lot of people that read this stuff read it and say "that sucks" or "wow" and then carry on in their same habbits - only when it directly impacts people do they seem to do anything.

simple example - at work there is a recycle can next to the trash can... I've seen people read the sign, then throw their food in it anyway or visa versa - read it and then throw their plastic/cans into the trash.

I've also worked in a fish store... I understand people have limited budgets but to be told the importance of lighting, current, nutrient export (skimmer, refugium etc.) and then purchase the cheapest (and worst) is terrible of people. If they had to get a peg in their leg, would they get a medical one or one from Home Depot because it's "cheaper."

rant off - I seem to be so negative in this forum!

Last edited:
KYDsexy--
I agree more captive bred fish are becoming available, and its important to ask your LFS to get them. Just be aware that few very species are being captive bred on a commercial level(clowns/dottybacks/seahorses). Greater than 98% of all marine fish in the hobby are being harvested from the ocean.

Back