From Tunze to MJ Mod?

I have the tunze wavebox in my 90gal tank and its awesome. You must have seen one not set up right. If it was all the way up then is was set up wrong.

While you might not care about random flow, its a good thing for your tank. Random flow helps get rid of dead spots. With a wavebox you have no dead spot at all.

You are really downgrading here and i don't understand you reason for doing this.

I have lots of dead spots now and nothing seems to be doing bad. I know what you mean about the whole random flow thing, but i have just seen toooo many beautiful SPS tanks with no on/off or rotating devices installed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10494439#post10494439 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crumbletop
I'm afraid that would make for lopsided goofy looking stony corals....

If that is the main concern, it can be remedied easily by having pump switching direction of the circular flow (say once every 6 hours should do). Say 4 MJ mods (2 on each end of the tank) and switch them accordingly every 6 hour period to reverse the direction of the circular laminar flow.

59639flow.jpg

sorry for the crappy MS Paint drawing :lol:

I have seen some beautiful tanks where the owner hasn't done a water change in years, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Point taken. What do you think about the drawing that dhnguyen made? How does that look, I like that idea.

I think in the end there are many different ways to skin a cat, some are goood for some people, in some situations, SOMEtimes. And other ways are good for other people, in other situations, sometimes.

Random flow can be achieved by things other than wavemaking devices. Directional options, small powerheads shot directly at the flow to cause disturbance every 2 minutes, or just plain shooting two different flows together.

Using two MJMods on my 150 will still give me turbulent/random water movement. Maybe not as much as the tunzes did, but it does give some.

Back