Fry Food

Richie_B_III

I just have a quick question. Will fry eat processed rotifers from companies like reef nutrition instead of live rotifers?

Last edited:
Not many----
Dead foods just dont elicit the appropiate feeding response. Most folks that use nonliving food usually have very poor survival. In clownfish, using dead foods instead of live rotifers as 1st foods usually results in <10% survival.

Depends on the fry Frank :) While most of the usual suspect MO fry don't appear to like it, we've had plenty of very positive feed back on the use of Roti-Feast for fry with other species. The codfish hatcheries loved it. I've got a great picture some place of a codfish fry with RF in it's stomach.

Gresham--
you are correct as always.
I guess I was thinking this gentleman was asking about common marine ornamentals, like say clownfish (since a number of posts this week, centered around rotifers use and clownfish).

:lol: hardly always correct, especially with some one with your knowledge in the room :) Clown fry sure do like their food living, I can't argue that. MO reports have been sporadic with RF thus far and there hasn't been enough data presented to me that I feel I can say for any certainty RF is any kind of solution for MO fry. On the AC side, those that have been testing it have reported great success which excites me to no end since it was my "baby" :D

Does anyone have much experience with Addison's Larval Feed from C-Quest? I would love to raise some of my percs but I don't think my work schedule (or allotted home space) would allow me to commit to growing phyto, rotifers and BBS. Even a 10% survival of the 300 or so eggs would be acceptable ;)

You can get away with using algal pastes (like Gresham's) for raising rots, though it's supposed to be a little harder. In other words, plan to keep an extra culture or two of rots going for emergencies. I think I would listen to Frank, though, live rots are pretty necessary. It is possible to avoid BBS, but a BBS station or two doesn't take up that much room.

So, if you have room for an extra bookcase worth of room somewhere, give it a shot!

Good luck!

using paste is harder? New one on me :) 8 years running with no crashes ;)

Andy this thread is not about live fry food but rather dead fry food :p

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11637414#post11637414 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lrood
Does anyone have much experience with Addison's Larval Feed from C-Quest?

C-Quest is out of business :(

For clown larvae, it's not worth trying to raise them without live rots. A few people have tried, but never got more than a mere handful to survive it any at all. If you still want to try it, probably the best bet would be some Otohime A larval food from Reed's.

Bill--
proaquatix had a 3 or 5 yr lease deal, they couldn't make it happen so it went back to C-quest
Bills back in the Biz

using paste is harder? New one on me 8 years running with no crashes

Andy this thread is not about live fry food but rather dead fry food :p

"is supposed to be"

Just passing along what I've heard. For example, calanoids are supposed to be impossible without live algae. Rots are supposed to be a little more likely to crash. Hence, have a couple of rotifer backups, since nothing beats the convenience of IA. Better? :)

I still haven't figured out why using your pastes doesn't seem to hurt water quality, though. I spray a really large amount of IA into my harp. copepod cultures every day with no real water quality issues. You guys using voodoo over there? Suspending the laws of nature again? :)

Back