Fully Self Cleaning Skimmer Cup/Neck with Enhanced Dome Lid

Yes, thought about making a self cleaning skimmer the other day. Awesome, can't wait to see it in action!

Yes, "can't wait" is an understatement for me. I'll be sure to update and have a detailed, pic heavy build thread.

Cuzza is way ahead of me on this project, but after coming to the same conclusion about the domed top about 6months ago, I built a replacement for my Reef Octopus that had a domed top, but due to extreamly tight clearance under my stand (i have about 1/2" between the top of the skimmer and the bottom of the tank, I built a gear to press on the OD of the lid, the idea is to drive the gear with a small motor plugged into a simple timer. The two stands or pillars are there to mount wipers that wipe the neck. The who thing works amazingly well, but Cuzza's wash system is where my system is way behind. Just thought I would share some pics. All these parts where printed on a 3D printer in case that wasn't obvious. https://www.dropbox.com/sc/05ip0q34mzyiz8c/AAAYcBFcadmrI_D1evzSnaB1a link because for some reason i simply cant post pics on this forum.

Cuzza is way ahead of me on this project, but after coming to the same conclusion about the domed top about 6months ago, I built a replacement for my Reef Octopus that had a domed top, but due to extreamly tight clearance under my stand (i have about 1/2" between the top of the skimmer and the bottom of the tank, I built a gear to press on the OD of the lid, the idea is to drive the gear with a small motor plugged into a simple timer. The two stands or pillars are there to mount wipers that wipe the neck. The who thing works amazingly well, but Cuzza's wash system is where my system is way behind. Just thought I would share some pics. All these parts where printed on a 3D printer in case that wasn't obvious. https://www.dropbox.com/sc/05ip0q34mzyiz8c/AAAYcBFcadmrI_D1evzSnaB1a link because for some reason i simply cant post pics on this forum.
Pics of full setup or a video even?

subbed, i was just thinking of a way to do this for my SRO3000, I clean my lid about every other day to keep it at peak performance and was thinking man if the crap dripped down instead of caking up the lid... plus it will go well with my MR1 Monster to Kalk Stirrer conversion.

Nothing yet. Tank was recently delivered and I've aquired my rock, but it will be placed in the Gulf for a few months before it goes in my tank. So, I'm still a ways out. I promise I will update though.

Gulf rock is awesome imo. Hidden cup corals and Christmas tree worms.nMy system was seeded with gulf rock.

Any updates? :)

I know. I know. I'm anxious to get this tank going. I'm still waiting for my rock to mature a little more.

I used Pakani which is not developing at the same rate as Walt's 2.1 rock. But it is definitely progressing. Quite a few barnacles, tunicates and sponges are popping up on the Pukani. I'm thinking I'll pull it in a couple months. I plan on moving the tank into my house in the next few weeks to get all the bugs worked out on the install. I'll link the build thread here.

Interesting thread.. Curious though, did you drop your rock off privately in the gulf or had help from TB LR? I only ask because I toyed with the idea of finding a quiet spot and dumping some rock in for a few months to see what it looks like.

Yes, TBS put me to work and I've been doing some video for him. I could be wrong, but I don't believe he wants to open a can of worms with allowing people to use his site for their personal rock. He is running a business and aquaculture comes with expense. The site is permitted by the Florida government.

The problem I see with dropping your rock at a non aquaculture site is that when you retrieve it you could get stopped by FWC and they wouldn't be able to determine the origins of the rock and may assume you are harvesting natural live rock which is illegal. If you're serious about doing it I would first call FWC to ask. It seems rather silly that you can put limestone in the Gulf and then pick it up later, but we know if it were allowed many people would abuse it and just harvest natural rock which is not ok, IMO.

Back