Fungus/Bacteria

Senn

Well the fungus/bacteria got 2 colonies of Zoa's and I don't know if it caused this but I had a Brain slough off all its tissue. Did the Lugols dip before putting them into my system, 24 hrs. later 60% of the Blue/Green Zoa's (7"x4" rock) are covered in a white spiderweb looking stuff. Do the recommended surgery, not much worth keeping so to the trash they go. BTW that was the most horrid smell I have ever smelled.
My other colony was a small one not many polyps so I basically trashed it. My 2 other Zoa colonies, 1 Palythoa colony all recieved a Lugols/H2O2 dip and look good so far except for the Brain. Performed 50% water change and added fresh carbon to clean up the water.
Here is a link to another thread I started and some interesting info was brought up.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=791521

Senn,

I've seen this happen a lot when I used to work with a live coral importer years ago. Sometimes these corals or the substrate they're on has decaying material on/in them.

It's not fungus, but (which was mentioned in the other thread) a bacterial bloom from decaying tissue.
it doesn't even have to be the zoas that caused this, it could've been a clam or sponge in the rock, but never the less, whenever you see that white foam like substance forming on a newly acquired coral, you should just cut deep and as much as seems infected.

Usually, when it is abundant, it's too late and you're better off tossing the piece before it skunks up your tank and causes other corals/fish to die from an ammonia/nitrite spike.

Clean your water, your tank will bounce back.:)

BTW, you haven't lived until you've smelled a dead anemone.;)

Back