Gac

I will be honest I rarely use the stuff... is there a real differance in some of these carbon products? I know that surface area and pouricity matters. but arent most commercialky available GAC products in the market today all the dane?

I don't know of much objective data on the subject. Personally, I stuck with SeaChem but the ROX 0.8 is supposed to be very good, as well. SeaChem is easy to get, and works well enough.

I like the seachem mateix cause the round beads makes it clog not as fast compare the regular carbon chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

From what I have read GAC sourced from Lignite coal is superior to GAC sourced from bitumous coal when used for aquarium applications.
The difference is in the pore size matching the size of the organic molecules that need removing from water. But there are other factors that count & I wouldn't bother with cheap stuff.

Last edited:
Bertoni... do you know what the .08 designation means? Or its classification? thanks for the tip. already started looking at the seachem.

[MENTION=3488]SCRUBBER[/MENTION] thanks for the info but from what I am seeing most of the manufacturers dont even say what type of carbon it is...

so as I continue to resuch I am seeing differant granual sizes... should I be looking for the larger sized or smaller? from what I am reading it seems that most say smaller is better as it has greater surface area and mkre carbon would fit into a container. is this true?

Smaller will have more surface area, but it might clog more rapidly, depending on the organic load, etc, in the tank. The ROX 0.8 is supposed to be good stuff.

I recently switched to the ROX 0.8 and my SPS seemed to like it. I have a large Sarchophyton leather, so I use GAC to keep the toxins down. The particles are quite small, so make sure your media bag isn't too large of a mesh.

There is a really good video on BRS comparing the efficiency of different types of carbon. Definitely worth a watch.

The round beads help with water flow and clogs less. It still will remove things.

There are significant differences in various types of GAC. I don't know enough about them to know which is best but it all boils down to pore size and pore density. What sized things the carbon can trap, and how much of it will get trapped before it's full.

also purity come into play, you don't want to use a product that may leach into your tank.

and the flakes have a lot more surface area, there is give and take on every aspect

Of course i just hate to keep cleaning out the reactor cause detritus get stuck and it stops the flow. With the seachem matrix carbon i have to clean it less. Of course it depends on how much work you want to do.

Of course i just hate to keep cleaning out the reactor cause detritus get stuck and it stops the flow. With the seachem matrix carbon i have to clean it less. Of course it depends on how much work you want to do.

After 3-5 days carbon is generally been depleted. All it’s doing after that is hosting bacteria.

There are significant differences in various types of GAC. I don't know enough about them to know which is best but it all boils down to pore size and pore density. What sized things the carbon can trap, and how much of it will get trapped before it's full.

also purity come into play, you don't want to use a product that may leach into your tank.
the purity of GAC is different between types but was hoping someone here smarter than I am can tech me.

Back