Getting a new sump. Pointers?

oshanickreef

Howdy,

I have decided to upgrade my sump and I have talked to a local guy who does custom sumps. I have a MArineland 24x24x24 rimeless tank with the stock stand, so I am limited on room. I have never had a refugium but i really think it will be beneficial and I also need more room for the various pumps i have in my sump currently.

A few questions:

How many chambers would you recommend? here is what i was thinking...
1. filter sock chamber
2. ATO Chamber
3. pump and skimmer chamber
4. return pump chamber
How many gallons (im thinking around 30)?
Do I run any risk switching sumps (loss of bacteria, etc)?

any other thoughts are appreciated!

thanks,

nick:wave:

4 chambers on a 30 gallon will result in very small sections. I would recommend 3 sections:
1. Intake, sock and skimming
2. Sump refugium
3. Return chamber (you can top-off at this section which is the one that drops levels on evaporation)
The sump does provide surface for bacteria population but shouldn't worry about switching it.

Good luck with things

4 chambers on a 30 gallon will result in very small sections. I would recommend 3 sections:
2. Sump refugium
3. Return chamber (you can top-off at this section which is the one that drops levels on evaporation)
The sump does provide surface for bacteria population but shouldn't worry about switching it.

Good luck with things

+1, this is a good set-up

yea be sure you measure your skimmer! i bought a RO 150 and it takes a 15 inch slot so now i got troubles trying to sell it for a smaller one..save your self the trouble

2. Sump refugium

Good luck with things

This is a great setup, I built my current sump similar except I put a narrow chamber down the back connecting the 1st and 3rd chambers, in the 4th chamber I put my heaters and my top off and a bubble weir at the pump end. I use a small pump to put water into the fuge and I cut a overflow on the fuge so it spills into the narrow chamber. This lets me control my fuge turnover.

Back