Getting started again

T-unit

After going without a tank for over ten years I just setup a new 70 gal Oceanic. At the current time I am still cycling the tank. My question is..... The other day the local store owner was trying to sell me a refuguim filter, I made a wet/dry out of some spare plexi. I plan to have a reef tank (purchased proper lighting etc. from drs fosters&smith) but want to just go with some fish for alittle while. He told me a refugium would allow me to only do 25% water changes every 3-4 months. That just doesn't seem correct. Could someone please explain what are the pro and cons of a refugium and if I really need one.
Thanks -Tom

A refugium is a very beneficial thing to have on your new system.
But even so you still need to do regular water changes every couple weeks. Or smaller wc every week.
Are you cycling your tank with live rock or with the bioballs?
I don't know of any cons using a fuge. Just good nutrient export.
IMO every tank could use a refugium.

I have to recommend the fuge also. As wella s nutrient export its also a place where pods can reproduce safely and then either be scooped out and placed in the main tank or they will find there way thru the plumbing. Also agree that you need to keep up on your water changes.

[welcome]

I am cycling my tank with bioballs, but I do have a small amout of LR. I have researched some plans on building a refugium. Could someone now give me a general overview of what goes inside besides live rock and sand. Most of the plans I have seen are of empty tanks and the pics that I have seen are not descriptive enough.
Thanks--Tom

After doing further research I found some rather informational websites about refugiums. Please disreguard the question about the required content. Again thank you for your assistance.

You really don't need rock and sand. The most important part of the refugium is a macroalgea. Usually cheato.

Once I get the fuge built how do i implement it into my system? I am going to need to remove the wet/dry to install it under the tank. Should I wait on getting more fish? (I only I have 5 dammels.) Also how much live rock would be appropriate for a 70 gal show tank? (the past ten years have not been very good to my memory) :(

In the main tank it is generally accepted, that 1 to 1-1/2 lbs of live rock to gallons of water.
Many people use old wet/dry containers for a sump/refugium.
Or just a glass/acrylic box that has usually 3 chambers with baffles inbetween. I like to divide this container into 3 areas. First one is where the water drains into from the display tank and I put my skimmer here. The second area is where I like to use as a fug. The third area is the return pump area.
A good website with a huge amount of info about this is,
www.melevsreef.com

Back