GFCI breaker vs. GFCI receptacle

Steveb

Premium Member
I currently have 2 dedicated 120v/20 amp circuits that have 20 amp GFCI receptacles (these). After some thought and consideration I realized it would be quite difficult to test/reset a faulted GFCI outlet as my tank/stand is about 43" from the receptacle and I would be leaning across a 36" wide sump.

So I went and bought two Square D Homeline 20-Amp Single-Pole GFCI Circuit Breakers (my sub-panel is a Square D Homeline model).

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/square...le-pole-gfci-circuit-breaker-hom120gficp.html

Before I go through the trouble of changing the receptacles out to regular duplex 20amp and changing the breakers from regular to GFCI I wanted to get opinions on safety.

Is there more/less/equal safety with GFCI breakers vs. receptacles?

Thanks!

They are equally safe however a ground fault on any outlet on the circuit will blow the breaker. I prefer separate outlets so only that outlet is affected by a fault. They both have the potential to save you and ultimately that is what is important.

There is only a single outlet on each circuit. These were installed specifically for this tank. One is going to have an EB8 the other an 8 port American DJ power center.

So I suppose I'm good to go.

Back