Gfo

Good afternoon all
After a hiatus I decided to get back in with a vengeance. I kept some of my old stuff. I had a few kessil Tuna blues that didn’t make it sitting in a box for 7 years or so. Bunch of other stuff. But, I have a beautiful 150 now. I love it.
My question!?!?! I wanted to keep coral but I knew I had to dirty up the water a bit. Thinking the phosphates would take a while in a new tank I did not bother to test. I noticed the green haze of algae everywhere in maybe 3 weeks and diatoms that were awful. Then I noticed some purple in mats. Well, my new Hanna Checkers came in and read my phosphate was .29. Certainly not the end of the world but cyano is ugly and I wanted to nip it in the bud quick. I did a little extra on my water change and it did nothing. I put 2 pouches of phosban in and nothing. So today I went out to my bin of doom grabbed a pump and a phos reactor.
I did not want to use GFO or phosban at all but I am sick of looking at light purple shadows on my floor and rocks. So GFO it is. The instructions from BRS are 1tbs per 15 gallons. Basically 37 tbs or just over a cup. I instead decided to use 3/4 of a cup to get moving.
I am not too lazy to do WCs. But I leave for vacation and have a service coming to manage my tank a couple times that I am gone. Just to do parameter checks and make sure the ATO is full. And I can’t tinker with it. Which I will uncontrollably if I am here. So I am hoping to get the results I wanted because .29 while not great is very manageable. Did I make a good choice or panicked?
Also, I have some green like I said but a nice cleanup crew working. I am looking to get the purple eradicated. I believe the GFO should do the trick but I also notice what looks like Dino’s. I am having trouble figuring out why I would have Dino’s where nutrients are present. I enclosed a pic. Every once in a while the bubbles are at the end of a string. I know diatom can do that too. It does easily blow off the rocks. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 953167F8-03AC-4CF3-82B4-DEC0F966CEE2.jpeg
    953167F8-03AC-4CF3-82B4-DEC0F966CEE2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Can’t see the bubbles? Because I can. I shut off my blues, leaving my whites and they disappeared in my photo. So I left the blues on. I know the rules.

Back