GHA, Sea Hare and Coral Banded Shrimp

fishnu

I went out of town 2 weeks ago and my sister sat my tank. She may have over fed slightly but more importantly my POS Coralife timer locked my actinics on for a week. I wound up with a big GHA bloom in my 75. I have purchased an AC3 and a superfeeder for my next trip, but have been wrestling with GHA ever since.

This weekend I bought a sea hare, scrubbed the algae of most of my rocks in a bucket of salt water, and did a big water change. There is still enough algae in there, but I am going out of town and have a couple of questions.

1) Will my Coral Banded Shrimp attack my sea hare?
2) Is there any food I can leave him while I travel (ground algae discs?)
3) How long does it take for a sea hare to starve? A day? A month?

RO/DI being used?? My HA was my fault for not watching the DI and feeding flake foods. I am slowly overcoming it. I don't have a sea hare but I am dosing vodka daily.

I have a kent maxxima 60 gpd ro/di with newish filters and membrane but I am not testing tds.

I haven't read vodka threads, although I am a big personal advocate of the product.

Almost mosquito season im MN? I loved June and September when I lived in MN. No snow, no mosquitos!

I would NOT leave the sea hare in the tank while you are gone. I did that for a weekend and the little SOB committed hara kiri in a powerhead; when they say those things can release a toxin when they die, what they mean is, "when this thing dies, it's taking A LOT of your stuff with it."

You can get sea "bunnies" they are like less than an inch long (though I don't know if they will be alright with the CBS).

by fishnu
I have a kent maxxima 60 gpd ro/di with newish filters and membrane but I am not testing tds.

I haven't read vodka threads, although I am a big personal advocate of the product.

Almost mosquito season im MN? I loved June and September when I lived in MN. No snow, no mosquitos!

I would get a TDS meter as that is your first source for testing TDS before they become a problem.

The vodka dosing is going great. Lots of threads on RC regarding this direction. I recently added new media (GFO from Bulk Reef Supply) and I am seeing a difference already. Even my wife happened past the tanks and noticed the HA is simply gone!!

Mosquito season is always in MN. I bathe in Off and other Deet products!! We have been here a little over a year and really love it. Just hope people don't start reconsidering ATV's and snowmobiles.

Back