Gigantea, Haddoni and Mertensii.

edwing206

Ho do you tell the difference from the underside and which ones are safe with fish?
I know that haddoni aren't safe with fish(as I've experiences this first hand:mad2: )
and the underside has lines. Like so.
PICT0002.jpg

Thanks.

I'll give it a shot,

Mertensii will ALWAYS have orange verracue on the underside and is usually if not always green. AND HUGE!!

My gigantea had purplish/blue verracue on the underside. Not sure if that would be on all of them or not.

And my understanding is that a Haddoni will show NO verracue on the underside.

Pretty much agree although I've seen a pic of one of Phil's Merts and it had purple verrucae.

Anyhoo, yes, generally, orange verrucae for Merts, but also merts verrucae (whichever colour) run all the way down to the pedal disc, whereas they stop mid point (ish) down the column in Gigas. Gigas generally blue/purple verrucae

Giga tentacles will usually taper, where merts will end bluntly. Merts sometimes exhibit longer tentacle area around the mouth area.

Hads generally don't exhibit verrucae.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
From this picture(I know it probably doesn't help much) what would your guesses be as to the species.
attachment.php

Hey Luis,

Is that 'nem yours? I could swear that's an atlantic carpet anemone, but if it was, the clown fish would be its dinner... Obviously the clown is alive, so go figure... Maybe Mertensii?

Julia

I tried to add it to my gallery buy it said it was too large??? I tried to resize it and still too big. Want me to email it to you MJI.

Hey Julia. It ate my wrasse, baby clown and clown goby. So it defiantly is a fish eater.
I got rid of it a while ago. Almost clogged my damn toilet. :lol: JK.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11734269#post11734269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cartman5579
I'll give it a shot,

Mertensii will ALWAYS have orange verracue on the underside and is usually if not always green. AND HUGE!!

Even though you see pics of green mertensii sometimes it seems to not be a very common color. Commonly seen colors tend to be more in the brown to yellowish tones.

edwing, from the robust column and the lack of colored verrucae, I would say that you have a haddoni in the pic.

Back