Giving dry rock an acid bath?

lougotzz

New member
Ok, so If I get dry rock, I have heard of people dipping it in acid. I was thinking muriotic acid. What is the procedure to doing this? What is the solution?

Thanks.
 

jenglish

Marquis de Carabas
1:10

add acid to water, not water to acid, or is it the other way around :rollface:

I do it outside or in a garage, let it run until it stops fizzing. Don't breathe it, try not to splash it, check local laws on disposal.
 

sedor

New member
I'm not to familiar on acid dipping. A lot of people are scared of the stuff, but i've heard and read there really is nothing to worry about. A safer, effective substitute is bleach.
 

jenglish

Marquis de Carabas
Bleach is good for removing organics, if you are trying to remove copper or phosphate (live a rushed version of cooking) you need acid.
 

OldNemo

New member
Ok, so If I get dry rock, I have heard of people dipping it in acid. I was thinking muriotic acid. What is the procedure to doing this? What is the solution?

Thanks.

I've heard it is not really necessary with dry rock but I know folks who do to be safe. Vinegar may help but I would just put in it a bucket or something with circulation to clean it off. I would give it an acid bath if live rock to kill off all the undesirables. Usually 10 gallons of water per gallon of m. acid. You still have to scrub.
 
Top