Giving up on wrasses

I may get someone (or two or three...) who doesn't agree with me here but here is what I believe from what I've seen with my wrasse (I've had flasher, fairy, and melanarus) and anthias, and from what I've read. The wrasse are more known to eat "pods", and even peck the pods from the rocks. The Melanarus, 6 line, 4 line, and yellow coris are known to do this. They are also decent at eating pests.

The anthias on the other hand are now known to do so... at least not from peckin off of the rocks like a mandarin does. They are known to eat from the water volume so whatever pods come there way through there I'm sure they will grab if they are hungry. But because they don't forge off of the rocks and glass I don't believe that they will compete with the mandarin. The pod population that the mandarin has been eating will most likely continue to be the same as it is today. Also... as you probably know, there are many types of pods (and I don't just means copepods and amphipods). More likely they wouldn't even eat the same types of pods.

You are right however in saying that they need to be fed multiple times a day, but so do the wrasse so if you weren't doing it for them... shame on you. Jk! Pretty much any active fish you will want to feed multiple times a day. I think I have my feeder set to go off 5 times a day and then I randomly add a blend of something or frozen mysis soaked in garlic. Being that they eat often they also poop often so you'll want to be aware of your parameters and possibly increase you water changes. It may be a little different caring for your anthias and wrasse but the one thing I personally wouldn't worry about is your mandarin's pod population.... and that is if you are certain you have a strong pod population with a mature tank.

Don't take all of this for 100% but this is just what I've observed and found through research. It will be great to hear others chime in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i agree on this.
also i have 5 bimac anthias, 2 lyretails, and 1 squareback
from what i have observed the anthias do need to be fed a few times a day but i think that is highly dependent on flow. i have a relatively low flow babrebottom tank and i only feed once a day 2 cubes. i can judge by their guts that it is plenty of food. i also have 2 mandarins and one scooter and they also eat the frozen food if it stays on the bottom long enough. i dont have a lid on my tank though and i have yet to have an anthias jump. i have had a wrasse jump before.

heres my guys

Attachments

• 20170227_163232.jpg
    20170227_163232.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1
Have you tried a Midas Blenny? I love these guys but have yet to get my hands on one that handled shipping well... Someday, but for now I am tired of things dying.

Chalk Basslet maybe?

Melanarus wrasse would be a good choice. Mine never ventures anywhere near the top of the tank. When he gets startled he dives for the sand bed. They are one of the prettiest fish available, as well as being peaceful.

Back