Glass needs cleaning hours after I clean

Johnic

Premium Member
The tank is a 75 with a 20 gal sump. I have a ATS that is well established and a good rlss 6i skimmer and I hardley feed the tank as well. I might feed a bit of dry food twice a day and once a week feed coral frenzy.
The problem that is occurring is I clean the glass and hours later it's got a new light green film on it. The corals are looking great and the phosphorus test kit shows 0.
What's the problem or is there n problem seeing corals look great and growing.

Your po4 is reading a false negative. Just throw it out the window. If algae is growing, nutrients are present.

Tank age?

It's a brand new Hanna digital UL phosporus test kit with new packs.

its not a matter of the test being inaccurate, the algae growth is pulling it out of the water column and your tester can't pick it up.

That make any sense?

its not a matter of the test being inaccurate, the algae growth is pulling it out of the water column and your tester can't pick it up.

That make any sense?

Yup. I was told the ATS made by Santa Monica HOG 3 would be able to easily remove phos feeding 3 frozen cubes a day and dry foods. I don't even come close to feeding that much. :headwalls:
Now what?

Might be time to start carbon dosing my friend. Do you run any GFO?

I ran GFO and the zoo's and corals didn't like too clean of water. The corals now are looking the best they ever looked, that's what's weird. It's such a fine balance. I was hoping the ATS would be a natural way to bring the phos down so I can feed more.
Will carbon dosing (vinegar) bring the phos down too low. What ml amount should I start dosing at? Or vodka ?
If my corals are looking good do I do anything ?

Carbon dosing removes nitrate and phosphate in a 20:1 ratio. 20 parts nitrate to 1 part phosphate. Depends on what you chose to dose. Vinegar is 7 times weaker than vodka. NOPOC is similar in dosing to vodka

Aaron

180 Gallon Dream (Now Reality)
http://www.panhandlereefers.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14405-180-Gallon-Dream-(Now-Reality)

I can't get an accurate phos reading seeing the algae is using it. What's a good ml of vodka to start with for a volume of 90 gal ?

I ran GFO and the zoo's and corals didn't like too clean of water. The corals now are looking the best they ever looked, that's what's weird. It's such a fine balance. I was hoping the ATS would be a natural way to bring the phos down so I can feed more.
Will carbon dosing (vinegar) bring the phos down too low. What ml amount should I start dosing at? Or vodka ?
If my corals are looking good do I do anything ?

If that's the case, I'd just clean the glass and not worry about it.

If that's the case, I'd just clean the glass and not worry about it.
I tend to agree. If the assumed issue is phosphates and the only real side affects are beautiful and happy corals with daily glass cleaning, I'd gladly take the daily 5 minute ritual over spending more time and money to solve the problem than its worth at this point.

I just got the tunze care magnet today and it's pretty fantastic. Beats the crap out of the mag float I had.

How would you compare it to the Flipper? That is the standard in my area, haven't come across the Tunze care.

Back