Good current books?

~reefchik~

Premium Member
I'm getting back into the hobby after having only a nano (20 gal) for the past 5 years. I always was into researching and reading up on stuff.

So I have "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" and Tullock's "Natural Reef Aquariums" among a few others. But I'm sure in the intervening years, some other good books have come out.

Seems to me now that I'm back on RC a bit that some things have changed and I'd like to get up to speed again before our neighbor gives us his 90g. tank.

Any good book suggestions? TIA.

When you say "hobby", do you mean the whole hobby, or are you focusing on reefs? I still find the three Delbeek and Sprung books useful (with a reef focus).

Jay

i like marine chemistry, by some dude, sorry can't be more helpful ,but if you look on amazon, the cover is a picasso trigger.

also i believe it is called "coral propagation", but that is a good book as well, haven't red it yetthough, will this week.

Well as usual, I jumped in with both feet and ordered a few books from Marine Depot and also Amazon.com

I've read most of Calfo's and Fenner's newest "Reef Invertebrates" which is excellent. I think Calfo wrote Coral Propagation some years back, didn't he? I borrowed it from a friend when it was new, and it was good.

What I got:

Reef Invertebrates (Calfo and Fenner)
Ultimate Marine Aquariums (Paletta) (nice eye candy)
Saltwater Aquarium Models )Tullock)
Water Chemistry in the Reef Aquarium (Tullock)

JHemdal: all of it, reefs included. I was always too cheap to buy Delbeek and Sprung's series but used to read them all a lot when I had idle time at the LFS. I agree, they are probably some of the best and most encyclopedic books written to date.

A suggestion: the next time you have a title and author, check out the used books (condition specified) on either half.com or alibris.com. I've paid as little as 10% cover price on nearly new books. Alibris especially has a vast selection of technical books. I've used them since graduate school.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I didn't know those places existed. I do sometimes buy used books at discount from affiliates at Amazon and always had good results there too.

Appreciate it.

The Marine Chemistry book with the picasso trigger on the front is by Brightwell. It is a very good book, one I actually learned new information in.

Hi Reefchik,

I bought many books but here are my best 2 books:
- For chemistery, water fow, lighting, hardware, landscaping, etc I'm sure you will benefit for many years of Delbeek and Sprung, The Reef Aquarium Volume 3, Science, Art and Technology.
- For coral descriptions and maintenance, Eric Borneman did another long life detailed reference book titled Aquarium Corals.
- Let's mention another one, very good but more specialized by James Fatherree: Giant clams in the sea and the aquarium. Amazing images.

Good reading

Guillaume

While Reef Central is certainly a good resource, there are caveats with any informational source used by aquarists. I wrote an overview of that in this article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/12/review2

And yes, I see the irony of writing an informational article about the relative quality of various informational resources(grin).

Jay

'Waves and Beaches' Willard Bascom. Take a trip in the way back machine and experience a brilliant oceanographer explaining how certain things work.

"The Sea of Cortez' John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts. Yes, THE John Steinbeck. A spectacular collaboration that has never been equaled. Steinbeck's images superimposed on the famous (Cannery Row) oceanographer's research, during and after an expedition to the Sea of Cortez. This is as good as it gets, in any field. Your understanding of the seas has an enormous gap if you have not submerged yourself in this gem.

Looks like I need to continue to expand my marine library! Thanks for all the awesome recommendations, folks :)

Back