Good Deal ! or ?

drclifton

So what do you all think of this deal.

120 (4x2x2) Oceanic Tech Tank (front Starphire) with matching Tech Tank black stand with Outer Orbit HQI/T5HO fixture 48inch.

With option to purchase:

Pumps:
Coral Life 580P External Pump "“ Skimmer
Coral Life 1080 External Pumps "“ Return
Skimmer:
Percision Marine ES-100 Venturi Skimmer
Percision Marine WC410 Waste Collector
Percision Marine ST-2 Skimmer Stand

Here's the Kicker....
I already have a PM Bullet-1 Skimmer powered by a mag. Should I go with the included skimmer and pump and ditch what I have, or use my skimmer with the Coral life 580P? I guess I need some opinions on the Coral life pumps. Is that a good return pump? (can't find much online about them).

Anybody know the dimensions in the stand by the way?

Thanks

I'm sure it's a good deal if the price was right. I think you meen to ask if this equipment is any good and if you should get the stuff that is option to buy. I'm not familiar with anything but the tank and it sounds great. The tech tanks are nice, and I really love a 120s footprint, probably one of fav. Stock tanks. As for the ligh fixture, a name would help but hqi/t5 is the way to go IMO.

Ya you are probably right, I need more of an opinion on the equipment.

He referred me to the Current-USA website for the light if that helps with a name.

The tank seems nice, and I have similar lights (( 2*250 MH version )) and I am pretty happy with them.

As for the other stuff... I am not a fan of coral life products, and think that there a lot of better pumps on there. Can't speak about the PM stuff.

I wouldn't run the HQIs if ya got kids. Not as safe as MH for radiation I have been told.

For us, HQI's (( DEs )) are the same has "MH" (( SE )), they just don't have the UV glass around the bulb, that is why a UV shield (( splash guard )) are used -- which that fixture has. As long as the UV shield is used, there is nothing to be concerned about.

DE = Double ended SE = single ended.

BUT those UV filters let some unfiltered light out, at least on my friends corallife fixture. (1/16") Better safe then sorry momma always said.

Interesting. Ya I have heard this radiation thing before. I don't have any kids or anything but I would at one point so radiation for me isn't a good thing. I will make sure these lights have the shield over them.

So the coralife stuff isn't the greatest of quality?

Interesting. Ya I have heard this radiation thing before. I don't have any kids or anything but I would at one point so radiation for me isn't a good thing. I will make sure these lights have the shield over them.

So the coralife stuff isn't the greatest of quality?

The fixture is built very well. It just has small gaps between the fixture and the lens, unfiltered light escapes.

And that isn't the case with the Current fixture -- there is a gasket b/t the UV shield and the fixture, not unfiltered light escapes.

And if (( I only say "if" because I have never seen it )) the Coral life fixture had unfiltered light coming out, it would be noticed right away in the corals. There have been several threads over the years about what happens when the UV shield isn't used -- corals bleach out completely within hours.

Back