Good Enough Lighting for Most Zoos?

Brock Fluharty

I just upgraded to the Nova Extreme 4x54 watt T5 light fixture, over a 75 gallon tank. Is this enough light for most zoos?

This is more than enough. You can grow SPS with T5 lights. I would place the zoos low in the tank to give them some time to adjust. IME.

One thing to look at before purchasing T5 Lighiing is that ALL bulbs have thier own independent reflector. You will see LOTS of newer T5 setup that just use one big reflector for all the bulbs. T5 bulbs are very dependent on the individual reflectors to get the big BANG out of them that everyone talks about. If they use the one big internal reflector, they will be fine for zoas and other lower light stuff, but IMO your better off with VHO. I don't believe that light fixture you are getting has individual reflectors, so you might want to think about it if you haven't purchased it yet.

I don't know about buying reflectors... But I don't think you are going to be able to make your own. The reflectors are very important and precise for t5's to be fully efective. Without the individual parabolic for each bulb it waistes a lot of light.

If you have a retro kit, you can buy indiv parabolic reflectors from a place like reefgeek.com or get icecap reflectors from many online places. From the T5 threads out there, it will increase your light output tremendously.

IME, they will begin to stretch a bit when they aren't getting enough light. That's what I have noticed anyway when I have zoas that fall behind rocks and get light starved till I pick them up again.

Brock that light will work just fine for what you want to do with it. I'm not sure about the SPS but it will work just fine for anything else that you want to keep.

Back