Can I get some advice on lighting?

Which technology should I use for my 2 foot cube??????

• Total voters
.....because, a 16 would be too week for a mixed reef in a cube your size. If you want SPS corals down the line you will need the 32 lights will that pierce all the way to the the bottom of the cube and/or your eventual breeder.......

Last edited:
How hard is it to manage the heat? I’m assuming You can just get away with a fan.
Depends on individual circumstance. For me a fan works fine, but I also keep my house at 73 with the AC and I peak about 81.4 or so recently. Some hotter climates, likely would get hotter, necessitating a chiller.

I live in the midwest and our summers get pretty hot and humid. That said, we keep the house between 68 (at night) and 72 (daytime) during the summer. That combined with my tank being in the basement, I don't even need to use a fan with my MH/LED (actinic) combination to keep temp levels stable. 40 breeder with (1) 175 watt 10K MH and (1) 36" actinic LED strip light.

300DD with 3x250 MH, 2 x 100 BML LED, 1 - 160w Actinic VHO
300 with mh on R.jpg

180 with only 4 x 100 watt BML LEDS and added heater for winter.
IMG_1450.JPG

During the winter MH's ran 8 hours, summer only 3
When I switched I waited for the great electrical bill savings, it never came. It seems my wife's cooking, clothes dryer and water heater draw much more power. With LEDS I still have heat issues in the summer July and August, plus have to now run a heater in the winter.
The pendants did a great job of keeping most of the heat out of the tank. The only difference was the clean look with LED's

Back