Good sps Led tank Thread

nice! I dont like the way they "spot light" even when used with lenses. The tanks appear synthetic...hope that made sense...it did to me lol. im sure LEDs would cast better looking light if they made the lights look more like this; (please excuse my crappy paint job)

concept.jpg

Dave.. stick to taking pictures... not drawing them. ;)

HAY! you shut your mouth when you're talking to me! :uzi:

lol remember my comp is slow...therefor i must stick to doing this the super old fashion way. I have done some sick things with paint, its just that it can be very time consuming. here is an example;

before:
images

after:
adhd.jpg

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2009589
This is a recent shot of my DIY Led's in this thread! Actually there is one string out at that time that has been fixed and all is working great. They have been on the Tank for 4 months so far and My SPS have better color than ever and my light bill has never been lower! The Tank has a very even look to it and the Par is through the Roof Over 800 at the water surface, 500+ 12" below the surface and anywhere from 200-300 on the sandbed. I think they are the Future of Reef lighting and love mine.
Bill
PS BTW the 4th picture down is the Orange Torch refeered to in another thread FYI. My camera Is only a point and shoot so It's not the best Picture but you can at least see it clearly.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2009589
This is a recent shot of my DIY Led's in this thread! Actually there is one string out at that time that has been fixed and all is working great. They have been on the Tank for 4 months so far and My SPS have better color than ever and my light bill has never been lower! The Tank has a very even look to it and the Par is through the Roof Over 800 at the water surface, 500+ 12" below the surface and anywhere from 200-300 on the sandbed. I think they are the Future of Reef lighting and love mine.
Bill
PS BTW the 4th picture down is the Orange Torch refeered to in another thread FYI. My camera Is only a point and shoot so It's not the best Picture but you can at least see it clearly.

Very nice bill! your light fixture is well built, glad some one finally built one that wasn't undersized (not to be confused with underpowered).

Thanks

Thanks

Very nice bill! your light fixture is well built, glad some one finally built one that wasn't undersized (not to be confused with underpowered).

It has a total of 115 Led's If i remember correctly! This has been a 4 month project due to one string kept burning out! But a new Driver and new U channel and now all is well
Thanks for the Kudo's:beer:
Bill
PS any of you guy's need any help building one I have learned a Lot about them during my build and I'm doing an even larger one for our LFS:wavehand:

Yeah david that looks a little dum to me as well. I was thinking about that and it makes no sence. Better off just adding optics

Yeah david that looks a little dum to me as well. I was thinking about that and it makes no sence. Better off just adding optics

My crude drawing is the profile of a MH reflector with a "LED bulb". The idea is that it would reflect like a MH bulb and therefore cast a wider light. This would, in theory eliminate the spot light look that LEDs produce.

@bill, thanks for the offer! i have close friends that live in Greenville TN, how far is that from you? im over due for a visit ;)

My crude drawing is the profile of a MH reflector with a "LED bulb". The idea is that it would reflect like a MH bulb and therefore cast a wider light. This would, in theory eliminate the spot light look that LEDs produce.

@bill, thanks for the offer! i have close friends that live in Greenville TN, how far is that from you? im over due for a visit ;)

Greenville is in the Eastern part of the State north of Knoxville Tn, About 3 1/2 hrs away from the Nashville Area. So in Southern terms just a short ride.
Bill:)

Greenville is in the Eastern part of the State north of Knoxville Tn, About 3 1/2 hrs away from the Nashville Area. So in Southern terms just a short ride.
Bill:)

lol im more then willing to make the trip so long as you lend me a pillow or 2, id love to be able to make a LED fixture like yours! how much would materials be to cover a 6'x2' area?

You dont think you will be loosing light from the leds I mean you can raise them and optics are good from what I heard they increase the par in the led. I found that out from rapid led them selves.

You dont think you will be loosing light from the leds I mean you can raise them and optics are good from what I heard they increase the par in the led. I found that out from rapid led them selves.

well considering how high the par is on LEDs the loss will be minimal. (some reflectors have high reflection abilities.)

6' x 2' Led

6' x 2' Led

lol im more then willing to make the trip so long as you lend me a pillow or 2, id love to be able to make a LED fixture like yours! how much would materials be to cover a 6'x2' area?

That is the Size one I an building right now, So i will be able to tell you more when I'm done with this one. It will have 150 Led's on 2 frames 35" wide each
75 led's on each frame and run by 5 drivers each running 30 led's and 3 of those are dimmable 2 are standard drivers for Sunrise/Sunset effect.
I'll LYK when I have a Rough Idea of the Cost OK
Bill:wavehand:

That is the Size one I an building right now, So i will be able to tell you more when I'm done with this one. It will have 150 Led's on 2 frames 35" wide each
75 led's on each frame and run by 5 drivers each running 30 led's and 3 of those are dimmable 2 are standard drivers for Sunrise/Sunset effect.

Thanks bill! :D

Hey Bill, hope all is ok for you and your family by your neck of the woods.

We were very lucky!

We were very lucky!

Hey Bill, hope all is ok for you and your family by your neck of the woods.

All we got was some straight line winds and a Boat load of Rain for Like 3 day's straight, And More Thunder than I ever heard for Night after night.
But nothing Compared to Our Friends to the South, What is left of Parts of Alabama is something no words can describe! Whole community's just Gone and as many as 15-20 people from one small town alone Dead. This is the Worst storms I have ever seen as long as I have been Down Here and That's going on 25 years.
It will take a generation to rebuild these places that were devastated by these storms and Ironically it was almost a year to the Day that we were Flooded here in Nashville and Lost whole areas of Nashville along with several Storms that destroyed a few places here last year.
I am considering building a Safe room under my Garage, There is a Guy that does them for around 5,000.00 for a 10 x 10 room under ground with air and Power from a generator to survive one of these direct hits or your house if you want to live!
They sure can use some Prayers and Help if your Able to the Red Cross to get these people a place to live for now until they can rebuild.
Wow I didn't mean to write a book but this really hits home as these are getting more and more common every year here!
Bill:wave:

Come on Down

Come on Down

lol I'm more then willing to make the trip so long as you lend me a pillow or 2, id love to be able to make a LED fixture like yours! how much would materials be to cover a 6'x2' area?

If you decide to come on down I have Room for a few Guest at my place anytime and we can actually get you some Pillows too!
It would be too time Consuming to actually make a Fixture While you were here but I can surely show you How to do it so when you get home you will know just how to do your own. It only took me watching another guy do this and I thought, Man I can do that even better due to my OCD Issues with things LOL and It really is quite easy once you understand how simple it all is.
I think it's as easy or easier than wiring up T5Ho's IMO once you have done a few it's just repetition of doing 150 Led's to make a large Fixture.
I am going to start to Diying 2' x 2' fixtures with around 24-30 Led with Dimming features and built in cooling and see if I can Make a little Profit and sell them Locally to Club Members, We'll see how the next one turns out Money wise and go from there.
Bill:idea:

Back