Got 1st shipment....

Dazz

Premium Member
And all I can say is holy crap! I have a 50 gallon tank and ordered a 50 gallon package.... well there were 2 boxes... 1 with sand, and 1 with a single 100 lbs rock!!!! It has sponges of all kinds, I have found 5 stars so far, looks like 2 baby conks, plenty of hermits and worms, tree sponge, yellow, orange, red, purple, blue, green and pretty much every other color sponge on it...

I do have one question for you Richard, this rock is just too big to do anything with in my 50 gallon, I was wondering if I would be able to take a chisle and hammer to it to break it up a little (out side of the tank of course!

I go hear the occasional click and I see alot of barnicles broken so I think there may be a mantis ;), but np, I have a 10 gallon that I will set up just for him!

I will get pics up asap! I should be getting a Nikon Coolpix 4500 by monday!

Hey, I'll take that 100 lb rock!!!;)

p.s. just kidding, I'd get a major hernia trying to pick up 100 lbs...

Re: Got 1st shipment....

Dazz said:
And all I can say is holy crap! I have a 50 gallon tank and ordered a 50 gallon package.... well there were 2 boxes... 1 with sand, and 1 with a single 100 lbs rock!!!! It has sponges of all kinds, I have found 5 stars so far, looks like 2 baby conks, plenty of hermits and worms, tree sponge, yellow, orange, red, purple, blue, green and pretty much every other color sponge on it...

I do have one question for you Richard, this rock is just too big to do anything with in my 50 gallon, I was wondering if I would be able to take a chisle and hammer to it to break it up a little (out side of the tank of course!

I go hear the occasional click and I see alot of barnicles broken so I think there may be a mantis ;), but np, I have a 10 gallon that I will set up just for him!

I will get pics up asap! I should be getting a Nikon Coolpix 4500 by monday!

That rock was so cool, perfect for a 50 gallon tank, remember you still have 50# comming, and I will pick you rock to make your tank look perfect......Big rocks look killer in tanks, no stacking problems, or shifting.....and you get the reef as it would be in the wild!
Any border concerms?

Thanks
Richard TBS

:rollface:

Big rock is awesome...Richard sent an 82 pounder with my first shipment and it is a great centerpeice. I was also concerned about how to get into my tank but it went fine. Richard had mentioned that it is perfectly okay to break the rock if need be but I'm glad I didn't have to resort to that.
Congratulations!

Holy crap another 50#!!!! What can I say but... you rock Richard!!!

And to update, I have no mantis! only 1 little hairy crab that I need to build a trap for and the clicking are 3 oysters hehe!

100 lbs rock

100 lbs rock

They sent you a single 100 lbs rock without you asking for it? That would p!ss me off. Who wants an asteroid taking up most of the space in a tank.

Having one huge boulder in the center of the tank is going to eliminate flow from a large part of the tank and create a dead spot in the sand.

I'd bust it up and then not order again from TBS.

I'm surprised, I've not heard anything but good comments about TBS. Now if you ordered a huge rock (huge mistake for a small tank) that would be a different story.

TBL

Actually, it is more like 70#, I forgot about water weight.
And actually I didnt break it up, it fits perfectly on one side of the tank and will be an awesome side piece and is actually heping me go for the look I wanted, so there was no need to break it up!

Richard is right, big rocks look cool.

just happened to get one. Words cant describe how amazing this rock is... It is covered in barnicels, sponges, corals, muscles, oysters, a xmas tree worm... on monday, I will post pics (if the camera gets in!).

Oh I also ended up seeing a mantis shrimp and he is not shy! About 3 inches too, very good looking one!

still waiting on my camera. Cought the Mantis but still seem to have a quieter clicking in the tank, so could be another one in there. I also have found many more crabs, most are very small ones, but I did see what seems to have been a leg of a larger one, maybe 2 or 3 inches across. I put a home made trap down last night, but noone went for it =(. I guess they dont like fresh scallop too much.

No camera last night, but I found more things!

I took about 7 crabs out of the tank and put them in with the mantis. I also saw 2 small red shrimp, 3 transparent shrimp and one of them had a red stripe down the back! This of course is a wonderfull thing because it means I have more life in there!!

I am still hearing clicking... I really really hope it isnt another mantis and hope it is a pistol shrimp...

TBS Rock

TBS Rock

I recieved the first part of my shipment (for a 75 gal) on Friday 11/21/03. All I can say is AMAZING. I had my girlfriend come over to help me arrange the rocks. We were both amazed. There were only three rocks. They fit perfectly in the tank. Thanks Richard. I think he had measurements for my tank. My ammonia has only crept up to 0.25 in 5 days, Nitrite is 0 and Nitrates are at 3 ppm. I can hardly wait for the tank to fully cycle, but am taking things slow. Thanks again Richard and TBS.

Still no camera... but I did find many more shrimp, and what looks like a mantis shrimp larva! He's actually stuck in my skimmer so I doubt he will live, but I think I will be pulling him out tonight heh.

Dazz, are you yanking all the crabs out of the tank for any particular reason? I think I have about a dozen or so of them? Are they bad news? or are you just feeding them to the mantis?

-landlord

they are bad news. They will eventually eat everything else in the tank pretty much. The only crabs you want a porcelin crabs (aka anenomie crabs) and they look like they are just fanning the watter. Any crab that has hair on it you want to remove asap.

I took out another large one last night, maybe 1 inch from leg tip to leg tip. I do know they will get much larger than that. He was munching on a sponge of mine. I know of 2 more large ones and about 7 more tiney ones. I figure since Manti likes crustations, might as well stuck them in there.

Back