Gracilaria

Beerman

In Memoriam
What can I get that is reef friendly to help keep this under control or get rid of it all together. Lawnmower blennie maybe?

Hey Beerman,

There are a few critters that eat red algae but I don't know if a Lawnmower Blennie would be one of them. I think they eat green algae. Are you sure that is gracilaria? Could you post a closer-up picture of it by any chance? Does it grow very fast? If a litle piece breaks off and lands somwhere does a new "plant" grow? I think Surgeonfish and Diadema urchins would eat that algae.

Kevin

What size is the tank? If it is gracilaria, most any fish or invert that eats macro algaes will readily eat it ;)

It might not be gracilaria. That's just what I was told. Here is another picture. I'm not sure if it's a better picture as I'm not good with the camera. It grows fast and on anything it lands on, including snail shells. It pulls off pretty easily.

Thanks in advance.

The Beerman

Probably not gracilaria (or at least not the same species as I grow).

My gracilaria never attaches, just lives tumbling in the water flow. Yellow tang will devour a tennis ball size chunk of red gracilaria in a day.

Back