Grandis

ZOAKEEPER

Zoa Trainer
I'm looking for some GRANDIS PALYTHOAS ZOANTHIDS. Been working with the S.F. Bay guys and a couple people in Indiana and no luck yet. If anybody has any locally there willing to frag or sell PM me i'm interested. Any color. Thanks,

David :)

GRANDIS

GRANDIS

After some discussion with a few people we've come to the conclusion that no of us quite know what a "bog" button is. So I cant answer your question. A grandis is a rather large polyp, quarter size or more of the palythoas species. Obviously, not easy to find. But I'll keep looking!! Thanks, David

Bog buttons

Bog buttons

Man, like 5 of use spent 3 days researching "bog" buttons. In 3 different states! Oh well, it made for interesting discussion and gave use something to do. We thought we were on to something new and we wanted it!! LOL Some kind of Cajun frag or something. Oh well, back to my Grandis search. Thanks, David

I have a single polyp that I may be willing to part with. I have to investigate a fair price for it. It is a beauty, larger than a quarter, green/gold color.
Cheers

I also have a single big green grandis with a single RPE on a frag disk in my frag tub. I also have that huge RPE showpiece colony that has several of big green grandis on it. I might trade the colony, I posted a pick in the swap thread.

grandis

grandis

I generally cut those greens out as they can and do grow like weeds. I've been told there not of the Grandis species. I have those now and will be continuing to try and eradicate them. keep it for awhile it will spread easily. They usually grow to the size of a nickle, what is the diameter of the one pictured? Also The Grandis species are not of a single color. (in my experiance) but i'm always open to learn! Thanks, David

The one I have is not like the big bright green toxic waste palys, it is a huge quarter plus Grandis that hasn't ever multiplied. I will try to get a pic when the lights are on, I think I know which ones you are talking about but this one is different.

Ok I woke the frag tub up to get a picture. The RPE on the bottom right (next to grandis) is a small sized palythoa, the tile to the left is the toxic waste palys that spreads quickly (I think you are thinking of these) they reach the size of a nickel and are a really vibrant green especially under 20K. The grandis, is about the size of a quarter, it is a paler green over brown, this polyp is significantly larger than most zoos and Palys, I am pretty sure it is a grandis.
a5a15ce8.jpg

Michael, those are protopalythoa. I have seen people call them grandis. Not sure what is right, however names are ambiguous with zoanthid speceis. What David is looking for are the cinnamon or colored grandis.

Michael, those are protopalythoa. I have seen people call them grandis. Not sure what is right, however names are ambiguous with zoanthid speceis. What David is looking for are the cinnamon or multi-colored grandis.

Here's a pic of the Sea of Cortez variant - very similar to the Caribbean P. grandis species, but genetically dissimilar enough to be it's own species. It diverged after Central America split the 2 seas. They are beautiful - about the size of a half dollar. Anna and I were diving over mats of thousands of these a couple weeks ago, some colonies were 5 meters across!

palythoa.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool.

Ok, I picked up some genuine grandis polyps while I was out in cali, expensive, but very cool. LMK if you want some oldsun.

GRANDIS

GRANDIS

Chupa, post us all a pic so everybody can see what they look like. Olins pic are great! Only downsize is of course there SO large many people dont want them or have the space for them. They like room to roam. Did you pick up the cinnamons? Keep on reefin, David :dance:

Oldsun,
I have a line on a Cinnamon Grandis, it will be at Reef A Palooza this weekend. I told him to send me a pic, so when I get it I will post it here. if you see it call me on my cell after tonight as we are leaving for RAP in the AM.

Back