Green bubble algae

This isn't trash talking?

"Now that I think about it, I'm a little disgusted with your high-and-mighty tone in your previous post."

Anyone who knows John knows he goes into great detail trying to explain the various chemistry relating to our hobby. This is not being "high and mighty", it is just the way John explains things.

Just my .02 for what its worth. Too much drama in this hobby as it is.

Aaron

I had a bubble algae explosion in my 125, bought 10 emeralds for 2.50 apiece @ vivid aquariums. Com cheapest I found online. Tank is clear now 1 month later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

this isn't trash talking?

"now that i think about it, i'm a little disgusted with your high-and-mighty tone in your previous post."

anyone who knows john knows he goes into great detail trying to explain the various chemistry relating to our hobby. This is not being "high and mighty", it is just the way john explains things.

Just my .02 for what its worth. Too much drama in this hobby as it is.

Aaron

+1

Come on guys. Let's keep this thread for what it is. The evil bubble algae. We are all friends here and good, bad or indifferent, we are all just trying to help each other out.

Please keep in mind that what works for one person, may not work for another. I've had bubble algae myself and got an emerald crab, which took care of the problem for me. I'm also still struggling with GHA and I understand what John and everybody else here is saying about nutrient export, but I have not been able to export any more nutrients than I'm already exporting.

I clean/change my filter socks daily, use biopellets, use phosguard and dose carbon. I'm also very consistent about weekly water changes. Regardless, some days I win, some days the GHA wins, but every day we battle.

I'm sure we will one day find that secret guide of steps that works for every single aquarium out there, until then, keep trying different things and you may find one that works for you.

Come on guys. Let's keep this thread for what it is. The evil bubble algae. We are all friends here and good, bad or indifferent, we are all just trying to help each other out.

Please keep in mind that what works for one person, may not work for another. I've had bubble algae myself and got an emerald crab, which took care of the problem for me. I'm also still struggling with GHA and I understand what John and everybody else here is saying about nutrient export, but I have not been able to export any more nutrients than I'm already exporting.

I clean/change my filter socks daily, use biopellets, use phosguard and dose carbon. I'm also very consistent about weekly water changes. Regardless, some days I win, some days the GHA wins, but every day we battle.

I'm sure we will one day find that secret guide of steps that works for every single aquarium out there, until then, keep trying different things and you may find one that works for you.

:beer:

I had bubble algae in a previous tank on some live rock and tried removing it & thought I did a good job. Then it started to appear on other pieces of live rock. From my understanding if you pop it the spores spread to other areas. If you pop some when removing it or an emerald crab pops it open it will spread to other areas. If you keep enough emerald crabs they will eat the algae as it appears. The way I got rid of the bubble algae was to remove the affected pieces of live rock completely from the tank. I let it dry out for several weeks until it was dry rock then added it back in. Understanding the water chemistry & being able to lower the nutrients like ichthyman has suggested to starve the algae is the best method. If nutrients exist algae will grow. Keep in mind a small amount of GHA, bubble algae, etc.. may not be harmful to your fish or coral but are an eyesore & let you know you have a higher nutrient levels.

IMO,
Short term, remove it manually and pop them if you want to. You already HAVE bubble algae, your not going to get more unless the nutrients are there to provide for it.

Long term, avoid the added specialized animals and provide a more ideal place for nutrient export than your DT. Bubble algae (or any for that matter) grows in your DT because it LIKES it. It like the light, it likes the nutrients, etc.. Look into an ATS to provide a faster growing algae with a more ideal growth environment to out compete the bubble algae and diminish the numbers. This worked well for me for years, the occasional bubble would be removed with extreme prejudice during tank maintenance.

Haha, I can just see extreme prejudice. I hate you all, you all must die. ;-) <----- this means totally kidding.

lol exactly. Emarald crabs always worked for me. Guess I need some more soon. The last one died in the back yard for getting too frisky with a clam. lol

Back